Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XPHome no sound!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff777

Geoff777

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:26 AM

Hi all.

Merry Christmas!

I have recently been given a IBM ThinkPad that had Win XP Pro os installed.

I thought this would be great for my young grandson to start on, however there was too much " stuff" on there so i did a clean install of Win XP Home. Everything works fine except for the sound. It has Crystal Cold Fusion[tm] sound card installed.
I am led to believe the drivers need updating but as yet have not been able to locate the required driver.
Does anyone have any ideas please?

Also, just occasionally on startup l get an error and have to reboot, the error number appears just after the mem test on reboot. From what l recall the number is 8611?? or 8011, something similar sorry.
A duck appears and the options to reboot and ok are given on a greyish screen.

Any help would be most appreciated, l want to give the chap his laptop tomorrow, so l may have a late Christmas eve!

Many thanks
Geoff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:36 AM

As for the driver, go to IBMs website and search up the model number of the laptop in the drivers/downloads section. You should be able to find it there. As for the error. if you could give some more information on it when it pops up so we can research it further.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:19 AM

Hi,

Thanks very much for such a quick response, will check out the website and get back to you. As for the error, l have tried the past hour to get it to manifest without success. Have to goto work now will try again later.

Many thanks
Geoff

#4 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:29 AM

Hi,

I have been on to the Lenovo site and downloaded the required drivers ( i think). L have uninstalled the sound card via
device manager, rebooted and the sound cards have been recognised and installed, ( i am told my device is intalled and ready to use. However still no sound!! Any ideas please?

Many thanks
Geoff

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:43 AM

Check the volume settings and make sure they are not muted.

If you installed the wrong drivers...your seeming current situation might result (happened to me).

Device Manager does not reflect any warnings or other indications that anything is wrong?

You see that the audio controller is installed under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers?

Louis

#6 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:25 PM

Hi,

I have again uninstalled the audio hardware via device manager, rebooted device found and installed ok.
No yellows in device manger, all seems ok.
I have checked audio settings all sounds not muted.
THe audio controller is installed under sound,video & games controllers

cannot think of anything else?? :thumbsup:

Any ideas?

many thanks
Geoff

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:43 PM

My next interpretation would be that the onboard audio has died.

System model?

Louis

#8 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:00 AM

Did you check the volume control knob/wheel that is on the laptop physically. If that does not work, i would agree with hamluis, the audio might be dead.

Gavin Seabrook

#9 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:04 PM

Hi all,

Having uninstalled and re-installed updated drivers, checking the audio settings, made sure audio not muted, still no sound!!
Then l read in another group check the keyboard mute setting, that is, hit the Fn key and the volume up key (top right of keyboard), I didn't know that one existed!!! Anyhow guess what?? :flowers: Everything works now :thumbsup:

Many thanks
Geoff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users