Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformat XP without cdrom

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jon2

jon2

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:33 AM

I need a thorough step on how to reformat my os which is in drive c and reformat using usb. I have 2 partitions drive c and d. Is it possible to reformat my computer from the partitioned drive or removable drive like usb? I have downloaded the program winsetupfromusb.exe and followed the instructions but my Hitachi computer which do have have a built in cdrom doesn't work. I tried to edit the boot options but I can't see any option to boot from usb.

Pls. Help me . I need to reformat my pc immediately and wanted to get rid from bots. It seems that my antispyware programs and antivirus doesn't work anymore or just been hijacked.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:50 AM

Unless you BIOS will allow you to boot from the USB you won't be able to load the OS from there.

What make and model is your computer?

Do you have the installation CD for the OS?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jon2

jon2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:22 AM

Flora 310 DPI. No it doesn't support booting from usb. I already copied the setup files to my usb and to the other partition. Is it possible to upgrade my bios?

#4 jon2

jon2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:23 AM

Hitachi Flora 310 DPI with built in cdrom so i can't install new one because it's hard to deassemble and assemble it.

#5 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:42 AM

One thing you can do is try to install using a network boot (If your pc supports it). Usually you can tell if you start it up and it comes to a PXE boot screen (looking for a boot place). Let us know if you have one.

Gavin Seabrook

#6 jon2

jon2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:59 AM

please ellaborate. I'm a newbie I can't understand those terms. What i only know is just to reformat booting from cdrom. what i want is to preserve drive d and reformat drive c and install xp. Tnx

#7 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:46 AM

PXE boot is an option that allows your computer to search for somewhere to boot from on a network. Usually when you turn it on, you might see a screen that says:

DHCP....

This is looking for an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) server to download files from. Sometimes if you have a laptop that has an SD Card reader, you can load the XP files to that directly (from another computer), and boot to a floppy image. Do you have an SD port on there? (Usually Toshiba Laptops have this)

Gavin Seabrook

#8 jon2

jon2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 05:15 AM

I'm afraid to say no. How about MS DOS but i don't have experience with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users