Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer stuttering and skipping

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 wendell66

wendell66

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:22 PM

Hello everyone. This is my first post and hoping that it will prove to be a successful plea for help. Recently, like within the last week, my computer has started to "stutter." Better described as "skipping." Really noticeable when I listen to a music CD in the CD ROM, watch a youtube or CNN video (the video and audio both stutter.) Also, my cursor seems to stutter as well. I'm not technically versed in these matters but am real good at following step by step instructions. the computer is an HP Pavilion a1101n purchased in 2005. i wiped out the hard drive last evening and reinstalled to factory specs but that didn't work. I am completely at a loss now. If anyne out there can guide me through a troubleshoot plan, I would be most appreciative. This has to be a relatively simple problem to diagnose but for the novice like me, I don't know what to do. Thanks in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:39 AM

First thing that we need is your system specs. Mainly your CPU speed and ammount of memory. This can be found by right clicking your my computer icon and selecting properties. The first screen that comes up should give you that information.

The second thing we need to know is when you reinstalled it to factory, did you use a restore cd, or did you do a fresh install from something else.

The thrid thing is to make sure that all your drivers are installed and up to date. Right click your my computer icon and go to properties. Then click the hardware tab, and enter into the DEVICE MANAGER. Make sure there are no yellow warning marks on that screen.

Let us know what you find out and we will help you more.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 wendell66

wendell66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:38 AM

Thanks a bunch for your help. The specs are: Intel Celeron Processor, 2.93 GHz and 1.99GB RAM (i added RAM about a year ago). When I did the recovery, I used the 11 recovery CD's I made when I got the computer. Lastly, there are NO yellow warning marks on the screen.

#4 wendell66

wendell66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:32 AM

hoping you all don't mind that i'm rolling this back up to the top. the problem is really annoying and i'm hoping to be able to fix this with help. thanks again fir everyone's consideration. :thumbsup:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:45 AM

Audio stuttering usually results from asking the CPU to do more than it was designed for...at the same time. Although it can happen when users have a separate sound card installed, it more frequently happens when users employ the onboard sound chip inherent in a given motherboard. Onboard functions compete with all others for CPU time, while separate sound cards do so less.

When I had this occur (several years ago), my solution was to install a sound card and not use the onboard.

Louis

#6 wendell66

wendell66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:19 AM

thanks a bunch for the response. i'm open to trying anything at this point. but i'm cautious of your receommended approach only because the stuttering isn't only limited to just audio applications. it occurs on video too. but the most intriguing thing is that the stuttering is also evident on the mouse pointer as I move it around the screen? this makes me frustrated as it is affecting other applications as well?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:30 AM

Hmm...then I think I'd be worried about the power supply, the motherboard, or even the CPU as suspects.

FWIW: I've never seen a CPU die and (from what I read) it's not likely.

I'd also consider the possibility of the system overheating...you might want to check the status of fans, dust, etc.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

You might try installing updated drivers for your system/motherboard.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 26 December 2008 - 11:31 AM.

#8 wendell66

wendell66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 12:00 PM

thank you. can u help me update the drivers as you suggest? i'll try that first.

#9 wendell66

wendell66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 12:14 PM

is this what i'm looking for?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...;product=501189

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:14 PM

Yes, but you don't need all those downloads.

I would remove all drivers which correspond to those reflected under Old Drivers...and I would then install all except those for a modem (dialup). If you have dialup, that one, too.

I would leave everything else and then put that webpage in My Favorites for future reference.

How to update a Windows hardware driver - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-update-a-windows-hardware-driver/

Louis

#11 wendell66

wendell66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:10 PM

"I would remove all drivers which correspond to those reflected under Old Drivers...and I would then install all except those for a modem (dialup). If you have dialup, that one, too."

How would I remove the drivers?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:24 PM

In Device Manager, http://www.inetdaemon.com/tutorials/comput...uninstall.shtml

I knew I forgot something :thumbsup:.

Louis

#13 wendell66

wendell66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:32 PM

Yes, but you don't need all those downloads.

I would remove all drivers which correspond to those reflected under Old Drivers...and I would then install all except those for a modem (dialup). If you have dialup, that one, too.

I would leave everything else and then put that webpage in My Favorites for future reference.

How to update a Windows hardware driver - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-update-a-windows-hardware-driver/

Louis

".............reflected under Old Drivers..."

you mean those reflected under "Original Drivers" in the link I provided, correct? :thumbsup:

#14 wendell66

wendell66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:04 AM

well, i went into the device manager and looked at each item. interestingly, when i clicked on an item, a window popped up that gave me a button to "update driver". i started doing that for each device a window came back and said no update found. however, when i got to the network adapters there are three present: 1394 Net Adapter; Linksys EG1032 v3 Instant gigabit Desktop Network Adapter Driver; Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC.

I put in the Linksys because my router for my interenet service provider in on another floor and I wanted to be "hardwired" for my desktop instead of being wireless. the wireless sucked. well, guy from the ISP (ATT uverse) told me to get this ethernet and then he "hardwired" the computer. but, the line out from the computer tower doesn't run directly to the modem. it comes out from the ethernet, plugs into some black adapter that gets plugged into my wall socket. then, there is a line that comes out of the modem and plugs into another, same black adapter on the other floor where my modem is located??????? was told this was the equivalent of hardwiring a computer?????

but this still wasn't the ehternet that got updated. the Realtek RTL8139 did. AND THE COMPUTER WORKS FINE NOW!!!!!!!!!

i have to thank those who took the time to help me. your patience is much appreciated. i wish i could return the help in some way but i'm not computer saavy. i don't recall seeing donations info but if there is, please advise so i can contribute. i spent a total of at least 6 hours on the phone with HP help desk and they couldn't fix this problem yet it was so simple. it appears that the logical approach was directed to update drivers first yet the HP people never even went there.

a few last questions: do i really need those three items in my network adapters? all im aware of is the linksys that i installed. with everything working, i don't plan on rocking the boat by removing something but i'm just curious. thanks again. :trumpet: :thumbsup: :flowers:

Edited by wendell66, 27 December 2008 - 09:05 AM.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:27 PM

My tendency, at this point, would be...if it's working to your satisfaction, leave the devices and drivers alone :thumbsup:.

The 1394 driver is for firewire, http://www.aquezada.com/staff/julian/school/ieee1394/ You don't need it, but the drivers were probably installed automatically when the system was first set up. You can have multiple possibilities for ethernet connection without any conflicts.

The Linksys EG1032 v3 Instant gigabit Desktop Network Adapter Driver is a driver for a gigabit network connection. Not sure what purpose it would serve if you don't have DSL and you only have one ethernet connection. Whether used or not, if it is installed, then the drivers should also be installed. It won't do any hard to have it installed.

The Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC is probably the NIC which came with your system and the drivers from the system manufacturer's site should enable it.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users