Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

helper.sig pops up during each Windows start-up WindowsXP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Miroku16

Miroku16

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:29 PM

Hey everyone in bleeping computer. I have had trouble with my Windows XP Home Edition. It has a folder named common, containing the file helper.sig in it. I have went to various sites, including this one, finding very similar situations involving this problem. I haven't been able to fully understand how to solve the problem, because I think mine is different. I've tried almost anything. I have ran various anti-virus scans: Sophos 7.1, Spybot Search and Destroy 6.1, SUPERAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, CCleaner, and HijackThis. I cleaned a few trojans and spyware/adware. The helper.dll file was deleted and the scans that I ran didn't detect anything. But the common folder still comes up every time I turn on the power to my computer, containing helper.sig file.

I have read some sites in which says that Bruteforce Uninstall does wonders for this type of problem. However, I haven't been able to successfully extract its file to my computer and every time I try clicking on the file it gives me a message that I am probably not authorized to use it, which makes the deep dive application worthless. I dunno if it was the download or the unzipping process of WinRar. But I need help removing this problem because nothing else doesn't run unless I close out the common window, which I have a good idea that helper.sig file is influencing my computer in some way. So if any one can help me, it would be really appreciated.

I will post the log for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware first. Then, I'll let the person helping me walk me through the process.

Here's the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware log

Attached File  mbam_log_2008_12_23__00_50_07__recent.txt   846bytes   18 downloads

Edited by Miroku16, 23 December 2008 - 11:47 PM.
Move from XP forum to Am I Infected. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:18 PM

that method was a custom one designed by metallica of the HJT team, I think I would post in that forum

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Miroku16

Miroku16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:27 PM

Hey everyone in bleeping computer. I have had trouble with my Windows XP Home Edition. It has a folder named common, containing the file helper.sig in it. I have went to various sites, including this one, finding very similar situations involving this problem. I haven't been able to fully understand how to solve the problem, because I think mine is different. I've tried almost anything. I have ran various anti-virus scans: Sophos 7.1, Spybot Search and Destroy 6.1, SUPERAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, CCleaner, and HijackThis. I cleaned a few trojans and spyware/adware. The helper.dll file was deleted and the scans that I ran didn't detect anything. But the common folder still comes up every time I turn on the power to my computer, containing helper.sig file.

I have read some sites in which says that Bruteforce Uninstall does wonders for this type of problem. However, I haven't been able to successfully extract its file to my computer and every time I try clicking on the file it gives me a message that I am probably not authorized to use it, which makes the deep dive application worthless. I dunno if it was the download or the unzipping process of WinRar. But I need help removing this problem because nothing else doesn't fully act normal unless I close out the common window first, which I have a good idea that helper.sig file is influencing my computer in some way. So if any one can help me, it would be really appreciated.

I will post the log for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware first. Then, I'll let the person helping me walk me through the process.

Here's the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware log

Attached File  mbam_log_2008_12_23__00_50_07__recent.txt   846bytes   33 downloads

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 12:36 AM

Hello Miroku16,

I have merged your latest topic posted in the HiJack This forum to your previously existing topic here in the Am I Infected forum. I did this because you missed the instructions for posting in the HiJack This forum and didn't post the necessary logs.

Prior to posting in the HiJack This forum, we ask that you please read and follow all instructions in the pinned topic titled Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log. Following the steps in this Guide will allow the HJT Team to quickly help you with specific fixes for what may remain on your system.

Please complete all the steps in the Guide. If you can't perform a step, then skip it and continue with the next. In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create a Psuedo HJT Report as part of its log.

When you have completed those steps, start a new topic in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum as directed in the Prep Guide to post a new log.

Please DO NOT post the log as a response to this thread, but if you have a question or encounter a problem in the Prep Guide, please do post back to this topic so we can help you out.

When your new DDS/HJT log is posted in the proper forum, please reply to this topic with a link to your new topic. Once that is done, a Member of the HJT Team will analyze your log and assist you with step by step instructions to clean your computer or otherwise advise what needs to be done.

Thank you and good luck,

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users