Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Call of Duty 5 and 8400gs video card

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 monkeydog

monkeydog

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:29 PM

hoping someone could help me understand video cards better. The system requirements for CoD5 say the card must be a 256mb GeForce 6600 or better, or an ati x1600 or better. I purchased a 256mb Geforce 8400 (which I have not installed yet) as I'm assuming that my current ati x1550 will not work. Does the 8400 card meet the requirements? I have heard that you go by the second number as to whether it will work or not. Have not installed the card yet in case I need to get a different one, but I'm confused as to how exactly you know whether one meets the requirements or not.
Any help here would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

By the way, I'm not an "extreme" gamer, and I only play single player. Online gameplay is not an issue for me, just want to experience a decent visual display on single player campaigns. Thanks again!

Edited by monkeydog, 23 December 2008 - 06:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:19 PM

You are right, with nvidia cards you do go by the second number. The 8400 isn't a gaming card, its more a multi-purpose office type card. That being said, I think that since the requirement is only a 6600 you should be able to play the game with that card. If it required a 7600 or better I'd say probably not. but the 6600 was 2 generations before the card you bought and some pretty significant advances were made during that time frame.
If you are really worried about it and have the extra money/access take the 8400 back and get a 8600 or really even an 8800 isn't that much more expensive now days, but i really think you'll be alright with it.

#3 monkeydog

monkeydog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:54 PM

Thanks smurfgod. I will probably keep the card then. My computer only has pci and agp slots, and it was hard to find even this card in pci. Everywhere I go, I find only pci express. In fact, at the local Best Buy, this card was the only one to choose from that wasn't express.

So if this card is suitable for this game, I'll just stick with it. I appreciate your thoughts Smufgod!

#4 yanglk

yanglk

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:57 PM

You are right, with nvidia cards you do go by the second number. The 8400 isn't a gaming card, its more a multi-purpose office type card. That being said, I think that since the requirement is only a 6600 you should be able to play the game with that card. If it required a 7600 or better I'd say probably not. but the 6600 was 2 generations before the card you bought and some pretty significant advances were made during that time frame.
If you are really worried about it and have the extra money/access take the 8400 back and get a 8600 or really even an 8800 isn't that much more expensive now days, but i really think you'll be alright with it.
Thank you very much agree.

#5 thefriesguy

thefriesguy

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:33 PM

you should be able to. haven't played it myself, but i trust the system requirements lab's site. i'm running an 8400 GS now, it ain't too pretty, because i'm on a really old computer like your's, but that card more than passes the system requirements for crysis, even. i have no idea what these guys are saying about the card being an office card, it's working fine for gaming for me.

my advice? you paid for it, might as well use it, especially if it's already opened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users