Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Run as Administrator

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:09 PM

:huh:

Hi everyone and the compliments of the season to you all.

Now, this little problem, or not, that's my query.
I am running a Sony Viao laptop with Intel core 2 duo 2.1 processor, 4 gig of ram 300gig harddrive. Loaded in it is Windows Vista Home premium, Sp 1.

I have enabled my right click context menu to incorporate the " take ownership " registry tweak ( for the want of a better word )and have no problem with it. However, as I know that the 'exe 'files are not effected by this tweak and you must sometimes therefore run as administrator on applications.
The problem as I am seeing it is, that no where on any context menus in fact no where anywhere can I find such an entry written !!! Am I missing something or should I be looking else where ??

Any advise please,

Kind Regards,

Tony.

Edited by Bonneville, 23 December 2008 - 06:10 PM.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:11 PM

Take ownership is different from Administrator privileges - so the registry tweak won't apply. You get around the UAC prompt sometimes because it's triggered (in part) when you perform some operations on objects that you don't own.
By default you should be able to right click on an exe file and select "Run as administrator".
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Bonneville

Bonneville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:32 PM

Hiya Usasma,

Thanks for the reply, I understand all that but, when I right click on an exe file, the ' Run as administrator' is not shown ?

Should this action be taken soley on the start menu or where the exe file is stored ?

Regards,

Tony.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:21 PM

I'd guess that your registry edit to add the "take ownership" item may have damaged your context menu so that run as administrator doesn't appear. Try restoring a backup of your registry from before the time you made the registry edit.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Bonneville

Bonneville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 06:59 PM

:huh:
Hiya Usasma,

Thanks for the imput.....

I thought I would try an experiment, removed the take ownership tweak and, yes you guessed it, Run as administrator returned...........good old Vista, never a dull day.

Best Wishes.

Tony.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:46 PM

It'd probably be a good idea to let someone know of the unexpected consequences of their tweak. That's why I don't recommend registry tweaks very often - the results can be so much more than you expected!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users