Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAID Questions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:33 PM

I'm building a new system (X58 chipset with an i7Core) and want to get into RAID.

I think that this is a decent controller for me - HighPoint RocketRAID2310 PCI Express x4 ~$145.00 US
I'd like to pair it with the Western Digital VelociRaptors.

Some questions:
- If I were to RAID with only 2 drives (RAID 0 - I think), is there any way to back the array up so I can restore it later on (in case of a drive failure). If not, is there any other alternative out there? I'm trying to save a bit of money - and buying 2 instead of 4 of them will help.
- I'll be storing all data on another drive, so that won't be a factor.
- The RAID array will have the OS and all the Program Files (I don't do movies or music).

Any other comments/suggestions for a RAID n00b?

TIA!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:20 PM

I would suggest a RAID 5, rather than a naked RAID 0....but that suggestion is based on having backup of the RAID 0.

If backing up is not a problem...and this system is just going to be a gaming system...then I can see going with a naked RAID 0.

That's the only scenario I can see going with it :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 usasma

usasma

• Topic Starter

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:05 AM

Not a gaming system - but it's gonna be my primary system for the Windows 7 beta when it debuts
I'll only have some Windows tools, some Virtual Machines, and my bookmarks on it (OK, and a couple of games also! :thumbsup:

I'm not worried about restoring the RAID0 info (if I can restore an Acronis True Image backup to the RAID array (still researching this))
But am worried about $200 a drive - so RAID 5 would cost me $800 just for hard drives.

Another question also. In my current system I've got my pagefile on another hard drive - would this be possible/advisable/advantageous on a RAID array?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:51 AM

Hmmm...I've never believed that moving the pagefile did anything worthwhile doing, I've never concerned myself with how fast paging operations take place, when they take place, or why they take place...since RAM became a more reasonable commodity to purchase.

Honestly speaking...I think all of the old advice about moving the pagefile...stems from Win 95/Win 98 days when the systems that we have today were not even envisioned. I just let XP manage it and everything seems to work satisfactorily for me.

You are in a different category than I am and I would imagine that nanoseconds count in your world, whereas seconds don't even count in mine :thumbsup:. The pay is not good for retirees, but the free time is one heck of what others would call "a blessing."

I know what you mean about the hard drive cost, but...

While showering this morning, I was reflecting on just how much is a reasonable expenditure per year for a computer system...for a person living on a fixed income (that is meager) like me. I reasoned thus:

a. My computers (I have two) are a daily necessity in 2009, they are a hobby which is also a necessity for just about anyone who doesn't live in a cave today. And I bet that some of those who DO live in caves have laptops :flowers:. A computer is more valuable in many ways than a car...and I have no problem at all with spending $1,000 a year on the upkeep of my car for maintenance and repairs because I consider it vital to my life.

That $1,000 does not include insurance, taxes, or gas...strictly maintenance needed to be operational.

b. If I'm willing to spend $1,000 a year on that...then I ought to be willing to spend at least that much on my computer system, based on its value in my life experiences. I use it for all sorts of "business" purposes, but it's value accrues to the way I use it.

I shop (for everything other than food), I inform myself about necessary events/details, I watch/record TV, I buy/collect/play music, I establish/maintain contact with others whose knowledge and good spirit enhance my life, I communicate with those close to me, and I educate myself somewhat (gathering more knowledge about more things each day of my life).

Sooo...IMO, having a computer system running is worth an expenditure of $1,000 a year (I don't think I spend that but I should without regret).

OTOH, you are still working and any computer you own contributes in some way to your capabilities in your chosen line of work (now). You have more income and more mouths to feed than I. You probably expend a lot more than I, of necessity.

If I use that $1,000 figure as a percentage of my incoming cash flow...I come up with 2 different numbers (because I will increase my incoming cash flow via Social Security in 2 months. Percentagewise, about 8% today, about 4% in 2 months.

So my guidance to anyone like us (who truly use our computers for some of the many varied capabilities) would be to spend anything between 4-8% without even questioning it...on your system(s).

Of course, the wife may not like that but that percentage doesn't seem like a heck of a lot to spend for the benefits which a system confers on those who truly use it.

If a gamer can spend $200 on a video card which will be obsolete and kicked to the curb inside of a year...I don't think $800 for hard drives is excessive at all, considering that (IME) it's fairly rare when a drive goes bad and becomes totally useless.

I'm sure that others have opinions on this, let's see what they say :trumpet:.

Louis

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:00 PM

With the pay increase for a Global Mod. It will seem like pennies :thumbsup:

I never had a reason to look into Raid, but reading up on it there seems to be varying opinions. Still looking for a good explanation
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:17 PM

Wikipedia seems to have a good rundown: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundant_arr...dependent_disks

Other links I had saved which refer to RAID (probably outdated somewhat):

RAID Tutorial & Benchmarking Tools - http://www.raid.com/04_00.html

Admin's RAID Data Recovery Guide - http://www.raidrecoveryguide.com/

Basics of RAID - http://ezinearticles.com/?Basics-of-RAID&id=11919

Louis

#7 usasma

usasma

• Topic Starter

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:28 PM

Well, I bit the bullet and got the 4 hard drives. Ordered it all just a little while ago, and should have it by the weekend!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:02 PM

Good move, I think :thumbsup:.

Louis

#9 usasma

usasma

• Topic Starter

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:20 PM

Thanks Louis! I'll post back with "trials and tribulations" once/if it's running!

#10 usasma

usasma

• Topic Starter

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:22 PM

It took longer to read the instructions than to set the RAID array up (about 30 seconds)
It took Windows Vista about 20 minutes to install to the point where I could reach my Desktop
Installed RAID drivers off of a flash drive (floppy NOT required)
The driver installation took about twice as long as the OS install.

Vista Experience score of 5.9 across the board!

Still downloading SP1
Then will update drivers
Install SP1

Then install the Win7 beta on the other partition
If it works, then I'll start using it.

If it fails, then I'll try the upgrade install on the Vista SP1 install.

Once I'm transferred over to Win7 fully, then I'll do the upgrade install anyway.

The performance increase with RAID 5 is dramatic. It's worth it (to me) with the added investment in a hardware RAID card and the extra hard drives.

Thanks all for your help here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users