Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP max Ram memory

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 freedomwins08

freedomwins08

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:25 PM

What is the max amount of memory that Windows XP SP3 will use well? Like in some programs its said that only about 2 Gigs to 3 Gigs are properly used, is there any point to getting 4 Gigs?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:48 PM

Yes and no - well, actually it's maybe :thumbsup:

Seriously, it all depends on how much RAM your system is using. If you're not maxing out the use of your RAM now, you won't be likely to see significant performance increases by adding more.

Each program has a 4 gB virtual address space assigned to it - this doesn't mean that it takes up 4 gB of RAM. It means that programs can only use 4 gB of virtual address space (and they don't have to use all of it). The Windows Memory Manager manages the Virtual Memory and swaps it in and out of physical memory according to it's own rules.

For example, in most computers with XP there are 40 or 50 processes running at any given time. Each of them has a virtual address space of 4 gB - and this is a whopping 1600 - 2000 gB of virtual address space. But they use much less than this, so the Windows Memory Manager can work quite well with only 1 or 2 gB of RAM and a windows managed pagefile of about 1.5 to 3 gB.

Another example is my system. I went from 32 bit Vista with 4 gB of RAM to 64 bit Vista with 4 gB of RAM and didn't notice any difference in performance. Then I went to 8 gB of RAM and still no performance increase. What I did get was the ability to play games while having 18 icons in my System Tray, 8 programs open in my Task Bar (to include Firefox with 22 tabs open, IE7 with 8 tabs open, 3 separate Virtual Machines (in Virtual PC 2007)). I've also got 70 processes showing in Task Manager - and I can still play games with acceptable performance.

If you've got 2 gB now that's the sweet spot for XP right now - but in the future, who knows what it'll be.
If your system specs allow you to upgrade to 4 gB it'd be a good hedge against the future - but don't expect any dramatic perfromance gains.

FWIW - most systems seem to be going to DDR3 now - so your investment in DDR2/DDR will likely only be good for this system's lifespan.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:49 PM

Well...I have 4GB installed in my other desktop (this one has 2GB) and when I click on Properties of My Computer...I see 3.37GB actively available of that 4.0GB.

Of the 2.0GB installed on this system, I see 1.75GB reflected.

I feel as if it's worth it to have 4GB on that system, since it is used primarily for video-editing and music-editing, while this is just the everyday, routine system (for everything else, including graphics-editing). Those functions (v-e and m-e) are more memory-intensive that many other computer functions and I believe that more memory allows edits/rendering to process more quickly than they would otherwise.

But this one would have 4GB if I thought that it mattered for what this system is asked to do.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users