Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Improper Harddrive Recognition

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mikeandrew

mikeandrew

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:14 PM

I'm hoping someone can lead me to a windows fix or a standalone piece off software that will resolve a seemingly simple problem. I have 2 computers, 1 is a amd athlon 64bit 3800+ with a 200gig maxtor diamond plus and the other one is a intel pentium III 1000mhz with a 250gig maxtor diamond plus. both units are presently running windows xp sp 1-2. The bios set-up in both units detects and sees the hard drives correctly. However, windows only sees 137gig. How can I fix this?
I tried running vista on the athlon 64 bit unit but it didn't see any more of the drive than xp did. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:30 PM

If the option exists in the BIOS, make sure LBA (large block addressing) is enabled
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:16 AM

Sometimes a BIOS update is needed to enable 48bit LBA as well.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 07:50 AM

Do you mean Windows only sees a partition that size? In this case, Disk Management will show the remainder of the drive as Unallocated Space. This will occur if the drives have been initially set up using pre-SP1 XP, or any other means of drive partitioning that does not implement 48-bit LBA.

If this is the situation, subsequent updating to, say, SP2, or viewing the drive with Vista, still only sees the limited "drive" (partition) size. The remainder of the drive needs to be partitioned to mount another drive, or expanded out to fill unallocated space, using Vista's own capability, or third-party software under XP.

If this is not the case, Drive Management will show no unallocated space.
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users