Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

will this hd work for an upgrade

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mr2005

mr2005

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:24 PM

right now i have a dell 9150 with 2 SATA Seagate barracuda harddives. Each drive says 160gb but that is the total capacity.

i was going to pick up this HD:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136284

will i have any issues?

will i be able to use the same cables that go into my seagate HD's or do i need to buy new cables? if so, what do i need to get?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:32 PM

All SATA drives use the same standard cable for connection :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:05 PM

Adding a third SATA hdd isn't usually a problem, but whether it will need to be added as an external unit will depend on the Make and model of you computer. A lot of manufacturers only provide two bays for hdds. You can alway purchase an external case with it's own power supply which will connect via USB.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 mr2005

mr2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:59 AM

Adding a third SATA hdd isn't usually a problem, but whether it will need to be added as an external unit will depend on the Make and model of you computer. A lot of manufacturers only provide two bays for hdds. You can alway purchase an external case with it's own power supply which will connect via USB.

i actually plan on replacing the seagates. I need more capacity and i been having issues. . When i google the errors, they say its a sign the drives are going bad.

I plan on tossing the old seagates and adding 2 of the drives above. i just want to make sure there wont be an issue putting them in my case. I 've never switched out a HD before.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:03 AM

It's really very simple, each hdd has one data cable and one power cable. They are keyed so that they will only plug in one way. When you remove the hdds you will see the cables, and where they should be plugged in.

One thing that I will caution you about is static electricity, it only takes about 10 Volts to take out the ICs on the PC board of the hdd, a person shuffling across a carpet can generate a electrostatic discharge of 35,000 Volts. There is a simple solution, when you open the case just touch the metal of the case before you handle any of the components inside.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:01 AM

It's really very simple, each hdd has one data cable and one power cable. They are keyed so that they will only plug in one way. When you remove the hdds you will see the cables, and where they should be plugged in.

One thing that I will caution you about is static electricity, it only takes about 10 Volts to take out the ICs on the PC board of the hdd, a person shuffling across a carpet can generate a electrostatic discharge of 35,000 Volts. There is a simple solution, when you open the case just touch the metal of the case before you handle any of the components inside.

I'd also like to add my 2 cents in here by saying you should touch the metal of your case every 5 minutes or so to discharge any static electricity that may have built up during that time.

#7 mr2005

mr2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 12:48 PM

thanks all for the info.

since I am getting OEM hardrives from NEwegg, will i have to format the drives prior to using them? anything else i will need to do to them or add to them?

also, when I am looking at my current drives in my case, how can i tell which is the C and which is the D drive?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:55 PM

<<...will i have to format the drives prior to using them? anything else i will need to do to them or add to them?>>

The drives need to be initialized/formatted before they can be seen/used by XP. If you intend to install XP on one/both of these drive, you will also need to put the motherboards's SATA driver on floppy and insert it at the appropriate point in the XP install process. Otherwise, XP cannot recognize/see a SATA drive (until the drivers are installed).

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_...ows_xp_on_a.htm

<<...when I am looking at my current drives in my case, how can i tell which is the C and which is the D drive?>>

With practice :thumbsup:...that's how I can tell by looking.

Truly...looking at a case should not necessarily tell a user anything about drives...unless he/she is using IDE drives on a single cable. With SATA drives, I believe a user can tell even less. The important thing to understand about drives as reflected in the case...the case is just a file cabinet and the drives are "books" in the cabinet. They don't have to be in any particular order.

To understand the drives/partitions in a system, it's best to use Disk Management. It will show you all drives which are properly connected/working and the space reflected for each, as well as disk space which has not been partitioned. Drive 0 should be the first hard drive connected, Drive 1 s/b the second hard drive connected, etc. But Drive 0 doesn't have to be the first hard drive connected.

Actually...in an ideal setup, the D: drive would be the optical drive, assuming 1 hard drive and 1 optical drive when XP was installed. Boxmakers (Dell, HP, etc.) have skewered this now, from what I understand, with their recovery/restore partitions. I don't know, I don't have any systems made by boxmakers.

Louis

#9 mr2005

mr2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:03 PM

If you intend to install XP on one/both of these drive, you will also need to put the motherboards's SATA driver on floppy and insert it at the appropriate point in the XP install process.

since i don't a floppy, i assume i can put this on cd? I'm not at my home computer where I am attempting this upgrade, but would i have these on one the disks dell sent me?

Edited by mr2005, 26 December 2008 - 02:04 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:09 PM

I've not tried to install SATA drivers from CD, only done it from floppy.

From what I've read, floppies are more reliable for such, while installing from a CD has presented problems to some.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=i...drivers+from+CD

As I've stated, I don't have any "name brand" systems, I prefer to put them together. But others here have experience with Dells and can answer your question much better than I.

Louis

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 06:15 PM

Each drive says 160gb but that is the total capacity.

will i be able to use the same cables that go into my seagate HD's or do i need to buy new cables? if so, what do i need to get?

It is possible that the older SATA drives still had a 4-pin Molex power connector and Dell may have economized by using these and not fitting a PSU with SATA power connectors. The new WD drives have only SATA power connectors, so if the Dell has none, you will need to get one or two adapter cables (depending on design, some take one Molex to 2 SATA).

You can download documentation for your system:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim9150/

The motherboard in that system implements RAID 0 or 1. If you have 2 x 160GB drives and the total storage capacity available to you is 160GB, then the system seems to be set up with a RAID 1 volume (mirrored for redundancy). If you fit two 1TB drives in place of the existing drives, the RAID controller should build a new RAID 1 array, enabling you to have 1TB (nominal) of storage.

If this is the situation, and you have a C: and D: drive as HDD storage, then the array is divided into 2 partitions, and this doesn't relate to one drive being C: and the other D:. As hamluis has said, it's common for manufacturers like Dell to set up two partitions, one being a system recovery partition. So depending on their size and whether you could use the D: "drive" yourself to store files, this may not matter at all if you are going to install Windows XP directly rather than use Dell's own restore disk(s). Another possibility is, if the C: partition was less than 132GB, the original XP installation may have been pre Service Pack 1, updated later, but I doubt if Dell would have done it this way ex factory. A user may have, if you're not the original owner.

If the install is not being done from Dell restore disk(s), the SATA driver will need to be available. When you say you don't have a floppy, do you mean the system doesn't have a floppy drive, or you don't at the moment have a floppy disk with the SATA drivers on it? If the system has a floppy drive, the simplest way is to put the SATA drivers on a floppy disk, and normally they will be on Application/Driver disk(s) supplied by Dell. They will also be able to be downloaded from Dell support.

If the floppy cannot be used, the drivers will need to be put onto a slipstream CD with the XP installation, it's a bit more involved, but many people use a utility such as nLite to make the process as automated as possible.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#12 mr2005

mr2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:21 PM

Each drive says 160gb but that is the total capacity.

It is possible that the older SATA drives still had a 4-pin Molex power connector and Dell may have economized by using these and not fitting a PSU with SATA power connectors. The new WD drives have only SATA power connectors, so if the Dell has none, you will need to get one or two adapter cables (depending on design, some take one Molex to 2 SATA).

You can download documentation for your system:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim9150/

The motherboard in that system implements RAID 0 or 1. If you have 2 x 160GB drives and the total storage capacity available to you is 160GB, then the system seems to be set up with a RAID 1 volume (mirrored for redundancy). If you fit two 1TB drives in place of the existing drives, the RAID controller should build a new RAID 1 array, enabling you to have 1TB (nominal) of storage.

If this is the situation, and you have a C: and D: drive as HDD storage, then the array is divided into 2 partitions, and this doesn't relate to one drive being C: and the other D:. As hamluis has said, it's common for manufacturers like Dell to set up two partitions, one being a system recovery partition. So depending on their size and whether you could use the D: "drive" yourself to store files, this may not matter at all if you are going to install Windows XP directly rather than use Dell's own restore disk(s). Another possibility is, if the C: partition was less than 132GB, the original XP installation may have been pre Service Pack 1, updated later, but I doubt if Dell would have done it this way ex factory. A user may have, if you're not the original owner.

If the install is not being done from Dell restore disk(s), the SATA driver will need to be available. When you say you don't have a floppy, do you mean the system doesn't have a floppy drive, or you don't at the moment have a floppy disk with the SATA drivers on it? If the system has a floppy drive, the simplest way is to put the SATA drivers on a floppy disk, and normally they will be on Application/Driver disk(s) supplied by Dell. They will also be able to be downloaded from Dell support.

If the floppy cannot be used, the drivers will need to be put onto a slipstream CD with the XP installation, it's a bit more involved, but many people use a utility such as nLite to make the process as automated as possible.

Platypus,

I was exploring the XP install disk cd and it has a whole bunch of dell stuff in addition to the windows install files. SO I am assuming the sata drivers would be in there?

my system doesn't have a floppy drive.
with regards to my HD, my total capacity is 160 with C: being 108 and D: being 38. Each drive says 160gb on the label.

Edited by mr2005, 26 December 2008 - 10:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users