Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP SP3 problems

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 mrmatt

mrmatt

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:10 PM

SP3 has caused me problems since its release, and I admit I haven't done anything about this for a long time. In fact, not knowing what to do I haven't even been applying updates.

The system is as follows:

HP Pavillion desktop (t760.uk)

Norton Personal Firewall (2004)
Norton Antivirus (2004)

Windows XP Home (SP2) (which installed OK). There is no XP install disc (as it is OEM?), only a recovery disk.

I do not have external backup at the moment, admittedly.

Not only do I read that Symantecs software has been causing problems, but there are also compatibility issues with the HP brand as well?

None of this makes me a happy bunny, and has caused me considerable stress and need to get this sorted pretty soon.

OK, to the point: can somebody walk me through this please? Can I just get away with installing the critical updates for now, and install SP3 later?
If so, how?

What precautionary steps would you recommend (bearing in mind I'm still a comparative newbie and dunce at all of this, but I still need a secure system).

I'm absolutely sure (although I'm out of touch as I've avoided this now for far longer than I should have) that HP, Norton and XP SP3 should be all able to co-exist harmoniously, and this should be alll perfectly resolvable. However convoluted I don't mind.

If only I knew how, that's all........

Thanks, anyone prepared to put up with me, but all this hassle I could have done without. I'm off to get some shut-eye for now.

(from one seemingly frazzled PC novice)

PS: no viruses, spyware, malware and such appear to exist at the moment on this PC. Small wonder.........

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:06 PM

The HP issues with SP3 were fixed shortly after the introduction of SP3. I don't believe that the SP3 issues affected your system because the affected systems had AMD processors and yours appears to have an Intel processor.
Visit the HP Support website ( http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...536&lang=en ) and download the 2 updates from 2008 and install them.
Then, visit Windows Update and install the missing updates.

Let us know if this fixes your issues. If not, then we'll work on it further.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 mrmatt

mrmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:48 PM

Thanks for your reply :thumbsup:

Have not done so yet (only just read your answer), but before I do proceed further, I have heard a lot of concerns with Symantec/Norton.

Are you or anyone else able to shed light on this please?

#4 mrmatt

mrmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:52 PM

Having said that, before I proceed any further, I do still have concerns about reports I have read viz Norton/Symantec.

Is anyone else able to proceed further please?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:55 PM

Norton use to be a very respected anti virus, now it seems that it has become a resource hog and doesn't play well with others. Personally I would suggest a freeware application like Avast or AVG, they both work quite well.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 mrmatt

mrmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:56 PM

Before I proceed any further, there are concerns with Norton/Symantec regarding reports I have read.

Can anyone advise on this please?

#7 mrmatt

mrmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:28 PM

The HP issues with SP3 were fixed shortly after the introduction of SP3. I don't believe that the SP3 issues affected your system because the affected systems had AMD processors and yours appears to have an Intel processor.
Visit the HP Support website ( http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...536&lang=en ) and download the 2 updates from 2008 and install them.
Then, visit Windows Update and install the missing updates.

Let us know if this fixes your issues. If not, then we'll work on it further.

Installed HP updates.

Do you mean just the critical updates or SP3 as well please?

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:49 PM

SP3 as well, then there's more updates after that.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 mrmatt

mrmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:29 PM

OK, sorry I haven't been around for a while....

I'm running short on time here, but basically can my mum keep Norton, as that is what she is used to?

Also, is it possible just to install the critical updates for now, but add SP3 later please? (still no backup sorted)

Thanks.

#10 mrmatt

mrmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:53 PM

BTW, doesn't SP3 wipe out all previous System Restore points?

#11 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:01 PM

It depends what Norton/Symantec program we are talking about. Norton 360 is very troublesome. An other product, Norton Internet Security™ 2009 represents a vast improvement. The rest of Nortons products is in between. We'll need to know exactly what Norton/Symantec you have installed.

In my view there is no freeware that is better. But quite a lot of other security programs are. But it will cost you...

#12 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:08 PM

OK, sorry I haven't been around for a while....

I'm running short on time here, but basically can my mum keep Norton, as that is what she is used to?

Also, is it possible just to install the critical updates for now, but add SP3 later please? (still no backup sorted)

Thanks.

Well, there is a risk but it is so little that it hardly exists. Microsoft rolled out Service Pack 3 via automatic update and nothing happened. If I'm not mistaken you'll still get SP3 without doing nothing just by enabling Microsoft Update in your Security Center. Which by the way is what all responsible PC users do anyway. Running on an outdated Service Pack like SP2 is NOT recommended anywhere.

Start -> Control Panel -> Security Center.

#13 ePost

ePost

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:13 PM

BTW, doesn't SP3 wipe out all previous System Restore points?

No. You can use System Restore to uninstall Service Pack 3 if something goes wrong. But it hardly ever does. All bugs are fixed by now.

Microsoft about uninstalling SP3: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

#14 mrmatt

mrmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:41 PM

It depends what Norton/Symantec program we are talking about. Norton 360 is very troublesome. An other product, Norton Internet Security™ 2009 represents a vast improvement. The rest of Nortons products is in between. We'll need to know exactly what Norton/Symantec you have installed.

In my view there is no freeware that is better. But quite a lot of other security programs are. But it will cost you...

At the moment, she has Norton Antivirus and Norton Personal Firewall (both 2004).
She is planning to replace these with Norton Internet Security 2009.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:44 PM

FWIW: I don't think NAV that is 5 years old...is going to be a better product that a free AV which has been constantly updated regarding the engine and database.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users