Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Signal Keep disconnection

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:10 PM

Well recently i have 2-3 bars of signal ive always had 3 bars of signal and never really use to disconnect but it goes down to 2 bars of signal and disconnects then 1 minute later it will go to 3 bars of signal.

I have been disconncecting my router aswell to get a low ip for an online game. But maybe disconnecting the router may of caused problems of the signal or something?

I have 3 floors in my house. The router is bottom floor and my computer is on the highest floor.
These been no interance no bad weather.

Whats causing this??

My OS is Vista Home Premium
My router is USRobotics
My wireless card is Belkin

Any help?

Cheers,
Samuel3.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:50 PM

Hi Samuel3

I would guess that distance is a factor here. A small shift of the router or the computer may possibly find a better route for your signal. Worth a try anyway. If it gets too bad, an intermediate router on the middle floor to transfer the signal could be something to consider.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:39 PM

I dont think i can move the router any higher to the computer, because i have no phone line to plug the router in.

Yep ill move the router tommorrow as i cant really be doing anything at the moment (Feeling Ill :thumbsup:)

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:45 AM

Depending on the router, you can usually go to your nearest computer store and buy better/bigger antennas for it. This will boost your signal. That or you can upgrade your card to a wireless N adapter on your pc. This also will give you a better range and is backwards compatible. The other option you have (which is the most expensive) is to get a wireless access point and set it up on the 2nd floor as a WIRELESS REPEATER. This will grab the signal from downstairs, cycle it through and pump it back out, giving you a closer source for your wireless without having to run aditional cables.

Gavin Seabrook

#5 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 11:55 AM

Still no luck ive turned the packard bell adapter ariol to the side, and hasn't really helped.
Any other suggestions?

#6 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:43 PM

Fixed.

#7 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:28 PM

Fixed.

Please share what option provided by others helped you. So that it would be helpful for other newbies here.

Cheers

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

#8 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:40 PM

I brought a Sitecom signal Booster.

#9 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:52 PM

Although we tend to go for the free or cheap option first, sometimes the only way is to spend a few bob.

Glad you got it fixed, Samuel.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#10 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:44 AM

Ok lol about 1 and half year later.

Sometime is 2009 i got rid of the booster because we got it wired but now the wire is broke. I still had the booster but when i plug it all in etc it says 'Connected with Limited Access' but its not actually connected how do i fix this?

#11 MilesJ

MilesJ

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:16 PM

Sounds like the booster is fouling it up somewhere. I suppose it comes down do you want it wireless or a wired connection. Is your booster in range of the original WiFi signal from the router? Is the WiFi encrypted? If so the booster needs to have the correct key to it can effectively connection to the WiFi and boost it.

Thanks.
Miles
Student of Networking & Network Security

#12 samuel3

samuel3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:31 AM

Sounds like the booster is fouling it up somewhere. I suppose it comes down do you want it wireless or a wired connection. Is your booster in range of the original WiFi signal from the router? Is the WiFi encrypted? If so the booster needs to have the correct key to it can effectively connection to the WiFi and boost it.

Thanks.
Miles

How do i put in the right key?

#13 MilesJ

MilesJ

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:17 AM

Not sure some boosters require one some just relay the signal regardless. Your best bet would be contact the manufacturer about wither or not you need one.
Student of Networking & Network Security

#14 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:32 PM

Hi samuel3 limited or no connectivity is all you will get because the signal booster(access point) isn't receiving a signal from the source router a little configuration is needed.

First you need to navigate to the source routers(no the signal booster) webpage probably 192.168.1.1 or similar enter password.

Then go to Lan setup(maybe a slightly different name on yours).

Below is an example: (yours may look a little different)

Router IP Address : 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Enable DNS Relay :
DHCP Server Settings (Optional)

Use this section to configure the built-in DHCP Server to assign IP addresses to the computers on your network.
Enable DHCP Server : Yes
DHCP IP Address Range : 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254

Change end ip 192.168.1.254 to 192.168.1.245 and click apply and save a reboot of router may be applied that is fine. If end ip address is set to less than 254 you can use that end address for dhcp reservation as long as there are two or more addresses free before it hits 254.

Now you need to reserve an ip address 192.168.1.245 in this case for the signal booster below:

Add DHCP Reservation (Optional)
Enable : Yes
Computer Name : The ssid name of signal booster when you try and connect to it.
IP Address : 192.168.1.245
MAC Address : 00:00:00:00:00:00 (replace this with the mac address of signal booster found underneath).

Now go into wireless setup or similar name and you should find information on what channel the router is set to. If set to auto change this and select channel 1(you will need to verify your neighbours aren't using same channel download inssider change if this is the case and click apply and save.. Make a note of this for later.

On this page there may be information about encryption key such as whether it is wep or wpa-psk tkip or wpa2-aes make a note of which setting it is and make a note of the key itself as you will need these details later.

After this log out of source router downstairs.

Now you need to connect the sitecom booster via a known good ethernet cable to your computer navigate to its webpage enter password go to wireless setup and change channel from auto to 6 or or different channel if you have had to change channel on source router as long as they are five channels apart to avoid bleeding. Then go into lan settings and change router ip address and dhcp server start and end addresses:

Router IP Address : 192.168.1.245 (change existing ip to this).
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Enable DNS Relay :
DHCP Server Settings (Optional)

Use this section to configure the built-in DHCP Server to assign IP addresses to the computers on your network.
Enable DHCP Server : Yes
DHCP IP Address Range : 192.168.1.246 to 192.168.1.254 (change existing start and end ip's to these).

Click apply and save reboot may occur.

You can check connectivity via ethernet to internet if it kicks up a fuss about network key enter the key you got from source router three things to remember all letters should be capitals and anything that looks like the letter "o" is a zero and no spaces. If it doesn't connect go into wireless settings and select encryption method and enter key from details recorded click apply and save.

Try and connect via ethernet enter key if prompted and it should connect to internet. Then you can disconnect the ethernet cable and site router on second floor and connect wirelessly enter network key.

The above addresses and channel settings are examples yours may differ.

Hope this helps.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users