Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't start up. Please Help.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AFei

AFei

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:10 PM

Hey I have problem starting up my computer this morning. First time, It started all weird like pattern on the screen. Then I had to turn the power off and then I started again but it freezes into the loading screen (the black screen with the bar and windows XP logo). I can't get to safe mode because when i try, it starts to list all these things and then it just stops. Then I did a pc destructive disk recovery. However, still I can't go into safe mode and when I start normally after the load screen it goes to a blue screen where it scans the disks and its scans a file name called 'Volume Serial number 4B6E-96BC0' buts stops at 18%. The keyboard also stops responding when this screen comes up, so I can't stop the disk check, but when i boot it back up, it works fine.

I am not sure if this was the cause of the problem, but The night before I was following these instructions to speed up my computer shutdown time or shutting down faster. From this website:
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.htm...ssageID=1914609

And here the text.

Open REGEDIT. Click on Start/ Run and type ''regedit'' without quotes and click ''OK''... Navigate to 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\'
Highlight the 'WaitToKillAppTimeout' value.
Set it to '1000' (the default should be 20000).
Now highlight the 'HungAppTimeout' value
Set it to '1000' also.

The second part of this tip changes the same settings, this time for all users on the system.

Navigate to 'HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop'
Highlight the 'WaitToKillAppTimeout' value.
Set it to '1000' (the default should be 20000).
Now highlight the 'HungAppTimeout' value.
Set it to '1000' also.

In the third part of this tip, we will alter a second registry setting to decrease the amount of time Windows XP will wait before shutting down active services after receiving a shut down command.

Open REGEDIT and navigate to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\'

Highlight the value 'WaitToKillServiceTimeout'

Change this value to '1000.'

This should help to considerably speed up the time windows XP takes to shut itself down

Auto kill tasks on shutdown

To allow Windows XP to close non-responsive applications automatically upon shutdown:

Open REGEDIT and navigate to 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop'

Highlight the value 'AutoEndTasks.'
Change the value to '1'

Also 'HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop'

Highlight the value 'AutoEndTasks.'
Change the value to '1'

XP will now be able to close hung applications without user input during the shutdown process.

Now you should be able to shutdown Windows in less than 15 seconds... I hope this help

Please help is urgent!!!

Edited by AFei, 23 December 2008 - 02:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:54 PM

Hi, have you treid Last Known Good Configuration? If you have not go to the logon screen it may work. The only other option is a repair but you need a XP OS disk for this.
MCP
MSDST

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:10 PM

Did you backup your registry prior to performing these registry edits? If so, you can probably recover the system using the backup.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 AFei

AFei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:14 PM

Well, later my dad did this pc scan in pc recovery mode. Then after that it was a wait and then it was suddenly working again. Its all better now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users