Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 HackPolice

HackPolice

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:25 PM

Just recently I have been having all kinds of problems with my Dell Dimension 8400. I have the latest BIOS version A09 and am using Windows XP Home SP3.

After BIOS loads:

"Floppy diskette seek failure
Alert! System battery voltage is low.
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility."

Then I press F1 and I get this:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

Then I put in the Recovery Console off of a Boot CD and I get the following error when trying to use the repair function:

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3."

Then I quit the Setup and I can never get beyond the error "missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

Also I have run CHKDSK multiple times and it keeps showing that it is fixing errors but I am still having the same problem.

I greatly appreciate any help or advice because I don't know what to try next.

Edited by HackPolice, 23 December 2008 - 01:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:43 PM

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 December 2008 - 01:43 PM.

#3 HackPolice

HackPolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:57 PM

Thanks, I really appreciate your help. I'll try replacing the CMOS battery.

EDIT - I did a little more research into the issue and am going to try to leave the computer on for 24 hours straight to see if it can recharge the CMOS battery. The computer has been off for a couple of months straight so that might be causing the problem.

Edited by HackPolice, 23 December 2008 - 02:02 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:23 PM

I've not heard of a CMOS battery recharging...I believe it's just like any other non-rechargeable battery purchased at your local store for electronics use.

Louis

#5 HackPolice

HackPolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for your help Louis but I am still having problems. I replaced the CMOS battery with a brand new one and am no longer getting the error "Alert! System battery voltage is low."

I am still getting the other two errors however:

After BIOS loads:

"Floppy diskette seek failure
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility."

Then I press F1 and I get this:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

Then I put in the Recovery Console off of a Boot CD and I get the following error when trying to use the repair function:

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3."

Then I quit the Setup and I can never get beyond the error "missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

Any other ideas on how to fix this missing or corrupt configuration?

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:37 PM

Press F2 when it asks, and go into the BIOS and disable the floppy drive. You may have to hunt around for the settings, but it's OK as long as you don't save anything. Once you change the floppy drive to Disabled, then you'll save and exit the BIOS. This will stop that error message.

There's many reasons for the SYSTEM error that you're receiving. Does your Dell have the 4 lights on the back? What colors are they? Does your Dell have a utilities partition on it? If so, you can go in there and test the various components of the system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 HackPolice

HackPolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for your assistance John. I disabled the Diskette drive from the Setup and am no longer getting the Diskette Drive error.

I do see 4 lights on the back that say A B C D and are all green. I believe there is a Utility Partition so I am going to run some tests in that right now. I'll let you know about any results I find.

#8 HackPolice

HackPolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:21 PM

I ran the Express Test in the Utility Partition and received the following error:

Error Code 0F00:136C
Msg: IDE device failed: Blank media or no media is present in optical drive. Test requires media with digital data (Resource CD, Installation CD).

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:31 PM

It seems that you ran a disk test on a device attached to your IDE controller - it appears to be your CD/DVD drive because it couldn't detect the optical drive. There should be settings there where you can specify the hard drive rather than the CD/DVD drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 HackPolice

HackPolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:27 PM

I just ran the custom tests on the Hard Drive and no errors were found. What would you recommend I do next?

EDIT - I am going to try and back up any data that I need with a Linux (KNOPPIX) CD to my USB drive.

Edited by HackPolice, 24 December 2008 - 02:00 PM.

#11 HackPolice

HackPolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:22 PM

For some reason I can't seem to back up my data because I can't seem to access the files on my hard drive with either Bart PE or the Linux CD.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how I could fix my computer so that it will boot up again? (I can't even boot into Safe Mode with Command Prompt; I believe the Registry Hive got corrupt because of the low voltage CMOS battery)

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 09:10 AM

<<...I can't seem to back up my data because I can't seem to access the files on my hard drive with either Bart PE or the Linux CD.>>

On the face of that statement alone...I'd say that you have hard drive problems or a corrupt NTFS if neither of the tools mentioned above can read the partition/drive. I suggest waiting for other opinions.

Louis

#13 midnight51

midnight51

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 09:20 AM

Sounds like something is going on with your IDE controller. When you go into BIOS do your Hard Drive and CDROM/DVDROM get detected? Make sure all of your IDE channels are set to AUTO. If you have a USB floppy drive try booting to a WIN98 boot disk and see if you can detect the drive and partitions with the FDISK command. If your partitions are running the NTFS file system go to this website - http://www.ates.gq.nu/Utilities/Utilities.html - and download the NTFS Reader utility and copy it to your bootdisk so you can navigate your drives.

#14 HackPolice

HackPolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 12:11 PM

Thanks for your help everyone. I believe you are correct about the IDE controller midnight51.

I just went into the BIOS and looked under Boot Sequence. Here is what is listed:

1. Onboard or USB Floppy Drive (not present)
2. Onboard SATA Hard Drive
3. Onboard IDE Hard Drive (not present)
4. Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive
5. USB Device (not present)

How exactly do I make sure my IDE channels are set to AUTO?

I am going to try to boot to Win98 and use FDISK and the NTFS Reader Utility. I am pretty sure that my partitions are running the NTFS file system.

#15 HackPolice

HackPolice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 02:14 PM

Ok so I think I know what the problem is. I booted into Windows 98 and ran NTFS DOS and looked at dir C:\Windows\system32\config\system. It showed the system file as present but with the wrong date 7-7-06. This is the same date that was shown when my CMOS battery had low voltage. I believe that the only reason why my system file is "corrupt" is because of the incorrect date. Is there any way that I could change this date to the current one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users