Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Battery charging light

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dobbin

dobbin

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:09 AM

I have a HP laptop six months old.
I always run it off mains but leave battery in.
I also switch it off when not in use but leave it connected at the mains.
This morning I noticed for the first time that the battery light was on when I looked at it. (green light) This stayed on for about 20 minutes before going off on its own accord.
That would indicate that it was charging the battery wouldnt it?
Can anyone tell me if this is normal when the machine is switched off (not hibernating) but still obviously able to access mains power through its ac adapter.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:21 PM

Did you condition the battery when you bought it?

You can actually condition your battery to retain more power. When you purchase a new laptop or a new battery, it comes to you completely empty of charge. Though most of us canít wait to get back to using our laptops cord-free the moment possible, itís important to let the battery accumulate a full and complete charge.

For the first two or three cycles only, youíll want to completely deplete your battery before recharging to the max. This ďtrainsĒ your battery to understand its own power capacity. After those first few cycles, youíll want to recharge your laptop battery, ideally, before it depletes entirely.

If youíve got to recharge every two hours, itís time for a new battery! Most of us put off buying a laptop battery until the computer practically wonít hold a charge at all. Buying a laptop battery may not be as interesting a purchase as buying something new for your closet, but once it arrives, you might wonder why you waited so long to make your life so much simpler. Once you get it installed, try out some of these tips. If you treat your new laptop battery well, it may just last until the eight-hour battery finally becomes available.

Author Christine Harrell writes for EBatteries To Go, a company specializing in laptop batteries and accessories.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 dobbin

dobbin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:26 PM

Hi there Garmanma.
The short answer is no I did not. I have never had a laptop before and just wanted to get it up and running.
My concern is if this is normal then thats okay. If not then perhaps I should take the plug out of the socket when not in use.
I did phone HP support early on today as I couldnt even find out what the light referred to in the documentation.
I cant say that they were the most helpful of people.
Its not come on again since and the battery shows as 99% charged in the power options.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:41 PM

You should find out if the battery for you laptop is a Lithium Ion or a Nickel-cadmium (NiCd). The description that Garmanma posted is true for NiCds, but Lithium Ion batteries like a partial discharge and should not be subjected to full discharges. If you wish to know more about Lithium Ion batteries, read this article.

Edited by dc3, 23 December 2008 - 12:46 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users