Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repair disk with SP3 slipstreamed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:46 AM

I have been working the last month or two on an older Gateway my daughter got last year, she had done a clean install of XP and it seemed to be fine.
She ran AVG for protection but allowed some roommates to use it for surfing and games.

It wouldn't hardly boot, after removing 9 gigs of WOW files from the system partition, tons of junk video and audio codecs, replacing the power supply, pulling an old pata data drive, running every scan I knew, it was a little better but keep crashing or freezing when I tried any video work

I had reloaded WMP 10, latest Ffdshow etc.

Loaded or reloaded latest mobo chipset driver, disabled PAT in bios

AVG had long since been disabled when they were attempting to remove some old malware?

I even updated the dvd burner's firmware since reading dvd video files and burning was taking forever

Something must have corrupted some core windows files

I wondered about the ram since we had added another gig stick that seemd to be compatible and it was running in dual channel mode but memtest ran forever with no errors.

Repair disk with SP3 slipstreamed and a defrag and humptydumpty is well again

Copied 4.3 gigs of video files to the hard drive in 4 1/2 minutes, before 22 minutes if it didn't freeze up
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:12 AM

That's good to hear! How'd you slipstream SP3?

I've seen some issues with Gateway motherboards - but not nearly as many as with eMachines. I'd suspect Windows rather than the RAM (especially with the Memtest results).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:31 AM

That's good to hear! How'd you slipstream SP3?

with an nlite beta before the official release, used the developer's (non-beta) sp3

clean installs have been perfect, pretty good luck with adding sp3(admin version) directly over the top of xpsp2

The repair disk was a last ditch effort before I made a boat anchor out of it.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users