Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft USB Optical Mouse not connecting

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 suvarghyadutta

suvarghyadutta

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:35 AM

Hello,

I have a Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse 1.0A which I have been using for the past four years. Now I am facing the foll problem:

1. When i am starting my system (Win XP), the mouse gets activated.
2. It stays activated for about 10 seconds or so and then the power goes off from the mouse.
3. If I remove the mouse from the USB port and then re plug it there, the mouse again gets the power.
4. The power stays for abt 10 or 15 seconds and then the mouse dies yet again. This cycle continues.
5. Sometimes the message comes, "USB device not recognised" and sometimes the message comes "your USB device is installed and is ready for use".
6. Device manager shows Mice and other handheld devices and after a while the entry vanishes.
7. There is one heading in the device manager called 'human interface device' which shows with a yellow exclamation mark. Trying to uninstal and reinstal it has given no results.
8. When i am looking into the Mouse section in COntrol Panel, it shows as if no mouse i attached and properties show "Cannot start device, error code (10)".
9. There was a solution provided in the Windows website (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321122) which deals with deleting registry keys and reinstalling the device. But even that has failed.
10. There is nothing wrong with the mouse as such because when I am plugging the same mouse into another system, it is working perfectly.

Please help me in installing my mouse properly. My PC is abt 4 years old and it has never had this kind of probem before.

Regards.

Edited by suvarghyadutta, 23 December 2008 - 04:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:15 PM

I would try another USB mouse and see if the same thing happens. If it does, then you probably have a voltage regulator problem in the USB section of the motherboard. It would not be worth your while or money to try and fix it.

You can get a USB hub that has its own power supply (plugged into the wall) and that may be able to power the mouse enough.

DR

#3 suvarghyadutta

suvarghyadutta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:26 PM

Hello,

This may very well be the case. I shall get this tested thru a different USB mouse as suggested by you. Today I have updated the drivers from the microsoft website and even then the mouse wont work. There is no question of incompatibility as the mouse belongs to microsoft itself.

Also, this problem started working all of a sudden when for the past 4 years my mouse had been working perfectly. I have tried the foll:
1. Go to device manager
2. Plug in the mouse to one of the 6 functional USB ports.
3. for the first 10 seconds the item "mice and other devices" appear in the list.
4. Then the entry vanishes and I can see an yellow exclamation mark under the USB Human Interface Device item.
5. I tested with some other USB devices like my camera etc which worked perfectly.

Regards.

#4 suvarghyadutta

suvarghyadutta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:05 AM

Hello DR,

I have tried using a different USB mouse from Lenovo and this one also gives exactly the same problem. If this indeed be a voltage issue, is it possible to do some BIOS setting change to rectify it? Kindly advise.

Regards.

#5 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:46 AM

OK, well then I would try it with a USB hub that has an AC transformer for power. Like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817145048

If that does not work, then the problem probably goes deeper into the motherboard. Somewhere you don't want to go unless you are an electronics wiz.

I hope this helps.

DR

#6 suvarghyadutta

suvarghyadutta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:45 AM

Hello DR,

many thanks for the kind help. I am no electronics wiz and therefore wud not dare to tamper with the motherboard myself. I shall get the USB 4 port connector and try it out.

Thanks.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 04:49 AM

You could try a USB to PS/2 adaptor.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 suvarghyadutta

suvarghyadutta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2009 - 03:42 AM

I have purchased a PS2 mouse and am working with it. The USB mouse cud not be used anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users