Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem after moving MTF with Perfectdisk 2008

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 taylert123

taylert123

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:55 AM

I've been trying to dual boot vista and XP, and after becoming mostly triumphant (I got XP up and basically running) I only have XP on 7 gigs...I need a lot more. And I have it in my Vista partition, but the MTF was at the end of the volume or w/e so I couldn't get any more space. What I did as a solution to this was use perfectdisk 2008 while offline to move them.

After doing this, when I log onto Vista it tells me that Kaspersky's database is corrupt and that my protection is turned off. I restarted after updating kaspersky to see if it helped. It didn't. What else can/should I do?

Also, at this point I haven't got the space moved over to my XP partition yet (if it matters it's on a logical drive)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:00 PM

I use Perfect Disk...and I have no idea what you are referring to.

Perfect Disk is a defrag utility, it doesn't move anything around in the manner you describe.

To modify partitions, you would need an entirely different type of utility.

Louis

#3 taylert123

taylert123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 07:33 PM

umm, it actually does

on the main screen, when you click on the "system files" button and it asks you if you want it to move this stuff on the next reboot, that moves the MFT. I think I put MTF before but I meant MFT.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 25 December 2008 - 07:55 PM

Well...it defrags the Master File Table, along with other system files which the XP defrag tool does not defrag. This is the offline defrag of system files which PD does on the next boot.

What version of Perfect Disk are you using...I have 8.0 installed and it doesn't seem to have the option you mention, although I believe an earlier version phrased it that way.

In any case, the defrag operation is one where files are moved because the system functions better when file components are together.

Defragging won't solve the problem that you seem to have...from what I understand.

I can't tell you anything about Vista, since I haven't installed it.

The most generic advice I can give you is...if you have an XP CD, try running chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console on either partition you have problems with.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users