Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD Drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KMF

KMF

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:14 AM

I have a Gateway PC that originally came with Windows ME. :thumbsup: In the process of upgrading the system to XP 18 months later, I ended up with a black screen of death (nothing but a C: prompt and flashing cursor). :)
Eventually, with your help, I was able to get the system back up and running :huh: But I seemed to have lost my DVD drive in the process. :huh:

I eventually purchased a new DVD Lite-On Lightscribe DVD recordable drive. Ironically, it came with no software other than a trial of Nero 7 (which was not made clear in the purchase) and I don't seem to have a DVD decoder any longer. I tried using Videolan, but the picture is so choppy, you can't watch any videos. Not only that, I can't record with it.

I found the Nvidia files on my original restoration discs, but, since those were the discs that caused my blackout (I tried restoring the computer after I'd already installed XP B) ) I'm afraid to try and copy the files to the hard drive.

Any suggestions other than buying a whole new computer!!! B)

Thanks.....

KMF

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:44 AM

I'm not sure what you are referring to as a decoder, are you referring to decryption software?

Most DVD-RW are plug and play devices and don't require firmware. Can you see the drive in My Computer? If you look in the device manager are there any errors shown for the DVD/CD-ROM?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 KMF

KMF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:59 PM

Well, it was a plug and play in so much as I had to get a USB adapter, but, so far, I'm having trouble with any players. Again, the video is so choppy, you can't follow them. I could just need an upgraded computer, too. It's 8 years old

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:16 PM

Well, it was a plug and play in so much as I had to get a USB adapter....................................

OK, that threw me. Is this an external drive? If an external USB DVD player/burner, do you have it connected via USB 2.0?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:17 PM

So this is an external drive connected via USB?

Edited by dc3, 24 December 2008 - 01:18 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 KMF

KMF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:26 PM

Well.......not quite. It was purchased as an internal drive...to replace the original. I fully planned to install it but, I let it sit around for 6 mos after I purchased it.....and didn't realized it had a SATA cable. Like I said, my computer is 8 years old. So, I improvised and got a SATA/USB connector and connected it to my USB port. At first, the system wouldn't recognize it, but I found an update on Lite-On. It fixed the recognition problem and loaded the Lightscribe labeling software onto the computer, but no applications for actually PLAYING the DVDs. The only other disc in with it was Nero 7 Essentials. Had I known it was a trial, I would have played around with it more right away.

I've tried using Media Player several times since, according to Microsoft, Media 10 is supposed to play video, but I get an error every time. Generally it tells me to change my resolution. Well, that didn't work, either. I also had a player that was included with one of my purchased DVDs (Interactual Player) which worked when I first got it (8 years ago). I figured what the heck and popped that one in. It loaded Interactual Player again but that tells me there is an error reading the DVD. I'd previously posted a forum on BC and someone suggested I download Videolan, which I did. But, once again, the video is choppy and jumps from scene to scene.

Quite honestly, I've had a variety of responses from other sources; each telling me something different. One says it's the "decoder"; another, the "codec" and yet another used decryption (as did you). I don't know if these terms are interchagable or not, but in the process of checking Microsoft, it referred me to several places for software to play DVD discs. One was Nvidia and I remembered the name from my device manager when my original D: drive was working. (My external hard drive has now taken over the use of the D: drive) Anyway, I did a search on my restoration discs from Gateway, and sure enough...there it was. I don't know if the data is any good or not, but I figured I'd find out before paying for a program I may already have!!! :-)

Well, any help would be helpful. If I'm SOL, just let me know and I'll go buy something.

Thanks!!!
KMF

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:18 PM

It most likely has allot to do with you connecting the DVD drive through a SATA-USB connector then connecting through USB 1.0 this will severely limit the bandwidth of the drive and give you the choppy movies you are experiencing. You could install a PCI usb 2.0 card and connect the drive that way. Windows Media player for XP should be able to play the movies no problem. I just checked my Lite-on drive I got from Walmart 2 years ago. I have windows XP pro with SP3 and Media Player 11.0.5721 I put in The Rock and the movie started playing.

Edit: Depending on the amount of ram you have. (less than 512mb) You may not be able to watch movies properly using XP (memory hog)

Edited by Sneakycyber, 26 December 2008 - 04:22 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 KMF

KMF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:12 AM

That makes sense. I've been meaning to get it into a doctor to get cleaned up and up-graded or cave and buy a new one. I guess it's about time.

Thanks for the info!!! Will follow up!!

KMF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users