Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Installer error

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LauraPittman

LauraPittman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:12 PM

Hello--I'm new to bleepingcomputer.com. My sister referred me and told me how awesome it is.

I am hoping that someone can give me some insight and maybe assist me in troubleshooting/fixing the issues at hand.

At present, when I boot up it looks as if everything is fine. They it freezes on the desktop with an hourglass. Previously a blue error screen came up which left me no option but to reboot by pressing the power button or removing the power cord.

Can anyone help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:39 PM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

If so, do the following:

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 LauraPittman

LauraPittman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:44 PM

Thanks Budapest, but when I click Check Now under the Tools tab (Error-checking), the message that pops up says "Windows was unable to complete the disk check."

Is this what it's supposed to say? I reboot the computer, but nothing changed.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:53 PM

Do you have a Windows XP CD?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 LauraPittman

LauraPittman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:00 PM

I have Windows XP Media Center Edition
Version 5.1

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:05 PM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 LauraPittman

LauraPittman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:23 PM

I tried this, but my computer did not prompt me for the "Welcome to Setup". It powered up from the CD drive, but logged on and then the screen went to blue and froze. Any suggestions?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:25 PM

Reference: http://www.salloway.org.uk/mediacenter/2004/version.htm

Louis

#9 LauraPittman

LauraPittman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:46 PM

Thanks Louis,
But I'm not sure why you sent me this...Can you help?
Laura

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:07 PM

You can create your own Recovery Console CD with this file:

http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

Post back if you need further instructions.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 LauraPittman

LauraPittman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 07:14 AM

The link did not work.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:18 AM

I just tested the link posted by Budapest (which will result in the download of an .iso file which can be burned to CD) and it works.

You should download the .iso file and then use a program (such as the one used to create it, Active@ Iso Burner) to create a bootable CD. The CD can then be used to access Windows Recovery Console commands.

Active@ ISO Burner. Data CD DVD burning software. Write ISO image to CD,DVD,CD-RW,CDR,DVD-RW. - http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm

The link I supplied was just so that you (and others) could see exactly what version of Media Center you have installed.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users