Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are a gas duster and an air duster one and the same?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yellowdog5

yellowdog5

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:56 PM

Are a gas duster and an air duster one and the same? I need to clean inside my computer, and I have read that you use canned compressed air. The store by me has dusters that say "this is not compressed air, but compressed gas, do not inhale". Can I use these?

Edited by yellowdog5, 22 December 2008 - 09:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:45 AM

Well...uhhmmm. What kind of gas. If it's something inert like Helium or something I don't think It would do anything. Or Co2 wouldn't do anything either.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#3 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:56 AM

No, it's just a canned duster, and I researched it a little and I think all air dusters are actually gas, but I just want to make sure I get the right thing.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:13 PM

I think all air dusters are actually gas, but I just want to make sure I get the right thing.

You are correct. They are all an inert propellant that is a liquid under pressure. That's why the can gets cold when you use it a long time.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:14 PM

Most of these use an inert gas which solves a couple of problems, one of the big advantages is that is cuts down the possibility of generating static electricity. Shuffling across a carpeted floor can produce a Electrostatic discharge (ESD) as high as 35.000 Volts, you can kill a integrated circuit with as little as 10 Volts. Remember that spark that arced across from you finger to the door knob on a winter day? The human body doesn't begin to feel a ESD until it reaches 3,000 Volts.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 yellowdog5

yellowdog5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:28 PM

Thank you. My new memory cards came yesterday, I am waiting for the usb card and antistatic strap, then I think I'm all set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users