Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hijackthis log

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 aaronjonasen

aaronjonasen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:42 PM

Hello - I apologize in advance, my knowledge is very limited and I hope that I am following the correct rules and etiquette for posting my troubles. I am certainly trying to! Well, here is my log from Hijack this. I attached it to this email. I am really having terrible problems with my computer right now. It started two days ago with lots of ads popping up at random, even when we weren't doing anything on the internet. I assumed this was spyware. I should first say that I feel like perhaps I have tried to do more than I should have without really knowing what I'm doing, and that maybe I've actually made things worse. So, here is what I have done to this point -
1 - Installed and ran Avast! antivirus program. It found so many viruses, I remember seeing "Win32", and "trojan horse", a lot of scary words, and unfortunately I just started deleting everything that it said was infected. I say unfortunately because I realized too late that I may have deleted or moved some important things like system files. Well, that's what Avast! told me to be careful of anyways, which I admittedly was not careful of following the first scan.
2 - Installed and ran CCleaner. I ran their registry cleaner, but later restored the changes I had made to the registry because it was after running the registry cleaner that not only were ads popping up all the time, but now I couldn't get to most places on the internet. This is the way things still are currently, too despite restoring the changes to the registry. It's hard to explain what it's doing, I can check my email, go to a couple of different pages, but it will stop in a lot of places. For example, I'll open my ebay account, and it will run fine through the login but will always stop in the same place when I click on "my ebay." It won't freeze, it will just sit there like it's loading the page but the page will never actually begin to load.
3 - Attempted many system recoveries - I tried many system recoveries to try to undo anything harmful that probably occurred a couple of days ago. Each system recovery failed and I'm wondering if it was because of what I had deleted with Avast!?
4 - Checked to see if I needed to defrag, looks like I have plenty of memory and I am told by the computer that I don't need to defrag.
5 - Ran Spybot Search & Destroy. I only ran it about half way, and only deleted a few things. It was taking forever probably because it found so much spyware I'm guessing. I'll probably run the scan again completely this time after I send this message.

So, I'm sorry, this is getting lengthy, but I saw that I should only make one post. So, I guess what I'm hoping to get out of this is -
1 - An analysis of the log. (Thank you!)
2 - Maybe just a little advice on what else could be done to fix the computer. Should I just take it somewhere? I feel like it may be beyond anything that I could do for it.
3 - And finally - I have this bad habit of downloading too many anti-spyware, anti-virus, firewall, anti-you name it programs. I always do my research first so I'm not worried about the legitimacy of the programs. But my question is can running too many of these programs actually do harm to your computer? possibly by leading you to delete things or make changes that you wouldn't want to if you knew what you were doing? This is what I mean by making a bad problem worse. I'm afraid that running all of these cleaners and deleting all of these things following countless scans could be doing damage and just tangling things up even more!
Thank you so much for your help. I'm sorry if this was long-winded, I just want to be thorough and also I'm just very distraught right now and kind of frustrated, honestly because I just don't know what I'm doing! I really really really appreciate your time! Sincerely - Aaron p.s. one more bit of info - in the middle of the HijackThis scan, an error message from Hijackthis pops up. It says an unexpected error has occured at procedure: modMain_CheckOther14Item() Error#62 - input past end of file

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rosty

Rosty

Skydive junkie

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:45 AM

Hi ,

The forums are really busy, that explains why logs get behind. If you still need some help, please start with posting a new hijackthislog in this thread. Don't start with a new thread.
Then we'll take a look.

Regards,

Rosty.
Posted Image
Proud member of ASAP since 2007

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users