Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MyWebSearch Infection

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:22 PM

Let me explain. My cousin was using the computer and he was visiting random sites. When I checked Internet Explorer, I've noticed that the MyWebSearch toolbar was installed in IE and overrided my search settings. I uninstalled it via Add/Remove Programs and I ran Malwarebytes. Here's the log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.31
Database version: 1533
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

22/12/2008 6:54:14 PM
mbam-log-2008-12-22 (18-54-14).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 109048
Time elapsed: 36 minute(s), 47 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 21
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{2e9937fc-cf2f-4f56-af54-5a6a3dd375cc} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{741de825-a6f0-4497-9aa6-8023cf9b0fff} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{cf54be1c-9359-4395-8533-1657cf209cfe} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{147a976f-eee1-4377-8ea7-4716e4cdd239} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Typelib\{d518921a-4a03-425e-9873-b9a71756821e} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{3aa42713-5c1e-48e2-b432-d8bf420dd31d} (Rogue.Antivirus2008) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{07b18ea9-a523-4961-b6bb-170de4475cca} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{07b18ea1-a523-4961-b6bb-170de4475cca} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{07b18eab-a523-4961-b6bb-170de4475cca} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{00a6faf1-072e-44cf-8957-5838f569a31d} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{1d4db7d2-6ec9-47a3-bd87-1e41684e07bb} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{56256a51-b582-467e-b8d4-7786eda79ae0} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{1d4db7d2-6ec9-47a3-bd87-1e41684e07bb} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{59c7fc09-1c83-4648-b3e6-003d2bbc7481} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{68af847f-6e91-45dd-9b68-d6a12c30e5d7} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{9170b96c-28d4-4626-8358-27e6caeef907} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{d1a71fa0-ff48-48dd-9b6d-7a13a3e42127} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{ddb1968e-ead6-40fd-8dae-ff14757f60c7} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{f138d901-86f0-4383-99b6-9cdd406036da} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\RunDll32Policy\f3ScrCtr.dll (Adware.MyWay) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Multimedia\WMPlayer\Schemes\f3pss (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt\&Search\ (Adware.Hotbar) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

I have rebooted after scan and then I deleted everything in quarantine. I have also cleared out the IE Temp files.

Am I still infected? What else should I do?

I am currently purging my System Restore.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:37 PM

Hi Lloyd T,

Sounds like you are on the right path. Let's update and rerun Malwarebytes. Then please run this SAS script...

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop.
alternate download link DO NOT use yet.

Please download and install SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the
    definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter
    any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from
    here and
    unzip into the program's folder.
    )
  • Under the "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under
    Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner
    Options
    , make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose:
    Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp"

ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:49 PM

Hello rigel,

Thank you for replying. I'll do what you say tommorow when I get the time.

Thanks again,

Lloyd

#4 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:40 PM

Hello rigel,

Sorry for the delay in response. I have updated and ran another full scan with MBAM in Normal Mode. The scan came up clean. I will be booting to Safe Mode to run ATF Cleaner and SAS if I get a time.

I have a question: Is SAS compatible with Norton Internet Security 2007?

Edit: Spelling and Grammar

Edited by Lloyd T, 23 December 2008 - 09:31 PM.

#5 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:57 PM

I haven't heard of any conflicts Lloyd.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#6 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:01 PM

Okay, I'll go ahead with the scans.

#7 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:21 PM

Hello rigel,

When my computer restarts, it says "F12 - Boot Menu". SHould I press F12 instead of F8?

#8 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:53 PM

Hello again rigel,

I cannot boot into Safe Mode. Everytime I press F8, after the beep, it doesn't give me a menu but boots normally into Windows.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

Sounds like your timing is off. As soon as the computer reboots, immediately begin tapping the F8 key repeatedly until the boot menu appear. If you still cannot get into safe mode, perform the above instructions in normal mode.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:05 PM

I really can't go to safe mode. I'll proceed with the instructions in Normal Mode.

#11 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:00 PM

Hello

Sorry for the delay in replies. I have done the ATF Cleaner part but not the SuperAntiSpyware part. Hopefully, I will be able to do it before 2009.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:09 PM

Ok.

#13 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 11:34 AM

Here's the SAS log:

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 12/26/2008 at 11:22 AM

Application Version : 4.23.1006

Core Rules Database Version : 3685
Trace Rules Database Version: 1662

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 00:31:28

Memory items scanned : 394
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 5429
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 46588
File threats detected : 12

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Documents and Settings\MILLENIUM-WEB\Cookies\millenium-web@ad.yieldmanager[3].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\MILLENIUM-WEB\Cookies\millenium-web@ads.bleepingcomputer[3].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\MILLENIUM-WEB\Cookies\millenium-web@zedo[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\MILLENIUM-WEB\Cookies\millenium-web@content.yieldmanager[3].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\MILLENIUM-WEB\Cookies\millenium-web@content.yieldmanager.edgesuite[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\MILLENIUM-WEB\Cookies\millenium-web@content.yieldmanager[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\MILLENIUM-WEB\Cookies\millenium-web@doubleclick[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\MILLENIUM-WEB\Cookies\millenium-web@richmedia.yahoo[3].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\MILLENIUM-WEB\Cookies\millenium-web@ad.yieldmanager[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\MILLENIUM-WEB\Cookies\millenium-web@ads.bleepingcomputer[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\MILLENIUM-WEB\Cookies\millenium-web@doubleclick[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\MILLENIUM-WEB\Cookies\millenium-web@richmedia.yahoo[1].txt

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:50 PM

How is your computer running now?

#15 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:25 PM

It's running okay, no sign of MyWebSearch anywhere. It isn't going slow and if I search on Google, I don't get redirected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users