Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer won't start in regular/safe mode

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tim2286

tim2286

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:21 PM

I can't start up the pc at all,

1. when starting the pc
We apologize for the inconvenience but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have cause this. Start in :
safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt
last known good configuration
start normally

doesnt matter what i do I get a black screen with windows logo and the scrolling thingy(the first thing that comes up when it boots normally) and within about half a second it automatically shuts down and restarts.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. if I do F-10 system recovery i get this error message:

The section IDA_CREATE_USER_DRIVE_U does not contain a valid dialog template. after I lick OK it shuts downs and restarts the pc again
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. if I do Microsoft Windows Recovery Console

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first you've seen this stop error screen (more like the 31st :|) restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Disable/uninstall anti virus, disk defragmentation, or backup utilities,. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption, and the restart your computer.

technical information :
*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x81344950, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I know why this happened last night it wouldn't shut down for quite some time so i pulled the plug to shut it down. Almost the same thing happened to the other pc bout a year ago (due to a power failure) I took the pc to a local pc repair place they erased all of the programs and applications I had on there but it started to function. I've searched these forums and kept running into "formatting" will that fix this problem? I think I had a CD that came with the computer but I cant seem to find it ( found the cd for the other 2 computers :thumbsup: )

Edited by tim2286, 22 December 2008 - 07:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:11 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 tim2286

tim2286
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:33 PM

compaq presario sr1401nx, is that what you wanted?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:55 PM

Yes, thanks :thumbsup:.

You mention the Recovery Console...you can get into this properly? Do you have a Microsoft XP install CD? Do you have the Recovery Console on a CD?

From what I see, running chkdsk /r from the XP Recovery Console might fix this.

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-...0x82eca898.html

http://www.geekswhoknow.com/articles/stop-...-error-code.htm

The Stop 0x24 message indicates that a problem occurred within Ntfs.sys, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. A similar Stop message, 0x23, exists for the file allocation table (FAT16 or FAT32) file systems.

Run the chkdsk /r command.

Nonpaged pool memory might be depleted, which can cause the system to stop. You can resolve this situation by adding more RAM, which increases the quantity of nonpaged pool memory available to the kernel.

How much RAM installed?

Louis

#5 tim2286

tim2286
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:01 PM

no i looked through all of the cds dont have any of those and went to compaq website it says that cd is not included when you buy but that the recovery console is installed on the machine. whats RAM is that like 256mb or the 69gb i forgot which one is which let me go look. about running that command i dont think i can because i cant turn the pc on :-S. my memory has been running low recently that might be it

256mb and 40gb

Edited by tim2286, 22 December 2008 - 10:03 PM.

#6 tim2286

tim2286
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 02:45 PM

well i got a new memory thingy inserted it and the same thing happened, well almost. The stop error is a little bit different
*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, (0x82237098 instead of 0x81344950), 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

#7 tim2286

tim2286
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:08 PM

i downloaded the NTFS4DOS (on a CD tho no floppy drive in that pc for some reason) inserted it turned the pc on and nothing how can i run the cd? is "boot menu" what I need? I clicked ESC and got in there now it says Select a Boot First Device
1 HDD Group
2 CD-ROM Group

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP lol

Edited by tim2286, 09 January 2009 - 03:10 PM.

#8 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:16 PM

Press F8 to get to the safe menu menu (startup selection menu)

and select "Disable Automatic Reboot on System Failure"

Let us know what it does and EXACTLY what errors you get.

#9 tim2286

tim2286
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:46 PM

a problem has been detected, windows has been shut down to prevent any damage to your system.
if this is the first time you see this error restart. If not follow these steps:
disable and uninstall anti virus, disk defrag, back up utilities
run CHKDSK /F
then restart

Stop: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x8332B170, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

this is the third time the second thing in the parenthesis changed dunt know if that means anything

Edited by tim2286, 09 January 2009 - 07:53 PM.

#10 Over50

Over50

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:18 AM

a problem has been detected, windows has been shut down to prevent any damage to your system.
if this is the first time you see this error restart. If not follow these steps:
disable and uninstall anti virus, disk defrag, back up utilities
run CHKDSK /F
then restart

Stop: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x8332B170, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

this is the third time the second thing in the parenthesis changed dunt know if that means anything

This link explains various error stop messages which may help you. Scroll down to find your Stop: 0x00000024 code.

CM Cosmos S case, EVGA 750i SLI FTW, 860W PCPC PS,
E8400 w/Zalman 9700 cooler, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
EVGA GTX 260 216 Core SC, X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro Sound Card
CH 568 USB Joystick, Pro Pedals and Yoke, Windows XP Home

#11 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:56 AM

I've searched these forums and kept running into "formatting" will that fix this problem? I think I had a CD that came with the computer but I cant seem to find it ( found the cd for the other 2 computers :thumbsup: )

Formatting would fix as long as there is nothing physically or logically damaged on the hard drive itself and if the hard drive is connected and identified in the bios.

The error you are getting flags the file system written to the disk. Either a bug or corruption. Formatting writes a new file system so any software damage is then repaired.

If you have nothing you need to save on the hard drive, it would fix it as long as the above requirements are met. It also may save you a lot of time troubleshooting your problem. However you will need to have a windows install disc or a partition on the drive. Check the startup screen the first think you see it may tell you to press F10, F11, etc to "Start Recovery" or something along those lines.

However if you want to continue to diagnose your problem and/or have no other means to back up your data, I would try the following to troubleshoot the issue you are having:

I would honestly run fixboot and fixmbr commands. I would also feel better if I was running the recovery console from a disc rather than booting from the drive itself.
If you have an install disc then you should run your chkdsk command again from the disc.
There are NTFS repair tools available. I have never tested one so I cannot suggest one.
If you can connect the drive to another computer, you can backup your data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users