Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NEED HELP WITH Trojan Smitfraud.c

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lewis

Lewis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:19 AM

:thumbsup: Hi guys, I have found my computer infected with the trojan Smitfraud.c with a blue screen. After surfing the web, I found a page here recommending a solution for it. After following the steps mentioned, I think I have removed that thing, but unfortunately I am stuck with a blue screen with no words, no taskbar or desktop. Its just a blue screen with nothing on it. Left and right clicking the mouse over it have no effect nor access to anything. The only thing that seemed to work is Ctrl+Alt+Del which came up after pressing. Can anyone please help me with my problem ? Thanks. I am using a laptop with XP professional version.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 02:48 AM

Can you get into safe mode?

#3 Lewis

Lewis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 03:22 AM

I have tried getting into safe mode using F8 but unfortunately besides the four corners showing SAFE MODE, the rest of the screen is still blue. There are no words or icons present at all. Even pressing the WINDOWS button could not call up the taskbar. Is something wrong with windows or is the virus still present? Thanks for replying.

#4 lelly

lelly

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 05:06 AM

Everything you have described is exactly what is wrong with my computer at the moment too.
I don't know what to do?!

#5 hkbiu

hkbiu

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 12:29 AM

me too!!!
I cannot find my task bar and explorer too!!
anyone can help?

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:40 AM

Here is the self-help removal tutorial from the mighty Grinler:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/How...aid-t17258.html

Perhaps this will shed some light on your problems.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:48 AM

If you can get access to another working PC I'd suggest building the UBCD4Win this will give you full access to your hdd's and allow you to perform a full virus scan using AntiVir and TrendMicro's Sysclean.

#8 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 18 May 2005 - 10:39 AM

I found a page here recommending a solution for it. After following the steps mentioned, I think I have removed that thing, but unfortunately I am stuck with a blue screen with no words, no taskbar or desktop.

Has everybody who has posted about having this problem used the Self Help Guide that Rimmer linked to to remove Smitfraud and is still having this problem with their desktop? Please post back to confirm.

If this is the case there are at least three things that might be happening:

1. You didn't follow the removal instructions exactly and in the right order.

2. This infection is often downloaded later by another downloader trojan that was present on your machine before Smitfraud appeared and is very tricky to remove and may be the cause of the desktop problem.

3. The Smitfraud infection itself has changed and the Guide needs to be updated.

In any event please note what is said at the end of the Guide:

It is likely, though, that this infection was installed with other malware. If you need help removing it, post a hijackthis log in the forums.

and

If you would like help with any of these fixes, you can post a HijackThis log in our HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum.

Because of other infections that might be present, I strongly urge everyone to post a HijackThis log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum so we can see exactly what is going on. Follow the instructions in this tutorial to get a log posted:

How to post a HijackThis Log

It is important for us to know whether or not the Guide has been followed so we can adjust it if it needs it. So please post back here if you have done that. If the problem still isn't solved--and I suggest even if it is, post a HijackThis log, then come back to this thread and post a link to your log thread/topic. I'll make sure it gets attention.
:thumbsup:

Edited by Papakid, 18 May 2005 - 10:41 AM.

We always did feel the same

We just started from a different point of view

Tangled up in blue--Bob Dylan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users