Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network can't get internet

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 craigie1961

craigie1961

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:29 PM

Saturday night, everything Ok. Sunday, router whatever doesn't see internet. I have a Linksys HG200 (old I know but i got it for nothing off my brother). My desktop running XP is hardwired to it and my laptop running Vista in the bedroom is wireless. There are 5 lights on the HG200, the power, ethernet and wireless lights are all green and normal but the DSL and internet lights are dead. I've reset the router, powered it down, powered it up, then switched on desktop but nothing. Checked settings on router and it says that DSL Status: DOWN DSL Modulation Mode: NOT TRAINED DSL Path Mode: INTERLEAVED

Now I didn't touch or change anything between Saturday and Sunday (not unless I did it in my sleep). My ISP is Orange who are so difficult to get through to. I checked the line with BT and it was OK. So, I plugged in the old broadband modem using the same cable that comes from the ADSL filter box thingy and re-install the modem software. On line no problem so I assume there is no cable fault. My laptop still sees the desktop via wireless, so my internal network seems OK. It's just that the router doesn't talk to the outside world. I am at a loss, I don't want to buy a new router just in case it is something that you totally trustworthy guys can help me figure out.
Very best wishes

Craig

and a Merry Christmas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr-Bee19

Mr-Bee19

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:19 PM

Craig, if it is a old router like you say, and it seems like there is going to be serious troubleshooting going on, I would just buy a updated router.

You can get a 802.11g for $50. There could be compatibility issues with your old router. Sometimes its just worth replacing the equipment rather than troubleshoot it to death!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users