Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OK - I'm really in deep here and really stressed!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 mrmatt

mrmatt

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:30 PM

SP3 has caused me problems since its release, and I admit I haven't done anything about this for a long time. In fact, not knowing what to do I haven't even been applying updates.

The system is as follows:

HP Pavillion desktop (t760.uk)

Norton Personal Firewall (2004)
Norton Antivirus (2004)

Windows XP Home (SP2) (which installed OK). There is no XP install disc (as it is OEM?), only a recovery disk.

I do not have external backup at the moment, admittedly.

Not only do I read that Symantecs software has been causing problems, but there are also compatibility issues with the HP brand as well?

None of this makes me a happy bunny, and has caused me considerable stress and need to get this sorted pretty soon.

OK, to the point: can somebody walk me through this please? Can I just get away with installing the critical updates for now, and install SP3 later?
If so, how?

What precautionary steps would you recommend (bearing in mind I'm still a comparative newbie and dunce at all of this, but I still need a secure system).

I'm absolutely sure (although I'm out of touch as I've avoided this now for far longer than I should have) that HP, Norton and XP SP3 should be all able to co-exist harmoniously, and this should be alll perfectly resolvable. However convoluted I don't mind.

If only I knew how, that's all........

Thanks, anyone prepared to put up with me, but all this hassle I could have done without. I'm off to get some shut-eye for now.

(from one seemingly frazzled PC novice)

PS: no viruses, spyware, malware and such appear to exist at the moment on this PC. Small wonder.........

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users