Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot see hidden local settings folders

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 DesertCactus

DesertCactus

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:36 AM

On Friday morning, I got infected with miscellaneous trojans and viruses. The infection was flagged by CA Antivirus within a couple of minutes of accessing a website. On Friday morning, I was able to see hidden folders in the local settings folders by showing hidden files and folders in order the correlate the time of access against the time CA Antivirus flagged the virus. The specific folders I was looking at are:

C:\Documents and Settings\<userid>\Local Settings\History
C:\Documents and Settings\<userid>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Now I am unable to see these folders, despite the setting of Tools - Folder Options - View - Hidden Files and Folders - Show Hidden Files and Folders.

Over the past several days, I have done a number of Spybot and Ad-aware scans, as well as CA Antivirus scans. As of yesterday, these were scanning cleanly. Another symptom is that on Friday, I was able to boot in Safe Mode by pressing F8. Yesterday, I was unable to do so. Also, over the weekend, I updated to Internet Explorer 7, and did an update of Java. My logs are below. Can anyone help track down what is going on?

>>>Fixed. It was an IE7 problem.

Edited by DesertCactus, 22 December 2008 - 03:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the &quot;Logic Free Zone&quot;, in Md, USA
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:56 PM

Thanks for informing us.
Should you find other problems please start a new topic.

This tread is closed.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users