Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with Trojan.Vudo - NIS 2009 can't remove it

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zthacher

zthacher

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:54 AM

Hi there,

I'm running WinXPsp3 on a Dell XPS M1210, cable modem. I should have known better, but I clicked on a Windows Media file and blam, my brand-new Norton Internet Security 2009 program started telling me it was blocking Trojan.Vundo -- but I can tell the infection actually made it to my computer. My Automatic Updates are disabled, and IE 7 starts throwing all types of crazy pop ups advertising various anti-spyware products which are, of course, malware themselves.

I ran a full scan with NIS 2009 three times, but it said my computer is clean. Then I downloaded Symantec's FixVundo tool but it couldn't detect Vundo. I also checked my history in NIS 2009 and it's clearly still dealing with the trojan -- there are security reports from hours later saying that it's blocking the trojan -- my guess is that the NIS 2009 firewall is partially blocking the trojan.

I recently had a nasty virus and spent quite a long time reinstalling my OS and drivers and applications. Any help is much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zthacher

zthacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:27 AM

Friends -- I ran Malwarebytes anti-Malware and that seemed to fix the problem. How crazy is it that NIS 2009 couldn't handle this virus?

Thanks for reading this post. This issue seems to be closed for now. Let's hope!

Happy Holidays!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users