Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen, then restart

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gratious

Gratious

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:35 AM

I don't know if this belongs in the vista catagory but anyways, just wondering if anyone would know the answere to my little problem.

A few days ago, I went to log into a game on my computer, mid way through loading the game the computer froze, didn't think much of it at first cause computer do freeze at times. but once I tried to reboot my computer it went through the BIOS, went to the black screen with the loading bar and the Microsoft Corporation under it once that finished It went to a black screen with no mouse, no words no blinking line just a black screen with some light to it unlike the dull black when power is off.

I was able to go into safemode from BIOS by using F8, and from there I went into msdos prompt and used the sfc.exe command it didn't fix the problem. So Then I Uninstalled my nvidia driver, I tried updating first but it was already up to date. I restarted my computer and everything came up fine by using the starting VGA Driver, But Everytime I try to put my nvidia driver back it does the black screen again.

So my question here is, is there a conflict going on between my Driver and a Vista program, or if my Driver is just shot and doesn't want to work.

I've also tried the System recovery, System Restore, even reformated.

Any Information would be nice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:01 AM

I have had problems with nvidia and vista.My i.e.kept crashing and eventualy got a generic driver for nvidia from microsoft.I yesterday tried nvidia again as it was available in a windows update.But it caused problems again so I did a system restore to get the generic driver back.

#3 Gratious

Gratious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:56 AM

I have had problems with nvidia and vista.My i.e.kept crashing and eventualy got a generic driver for nvidia from microsoft.I yesterday tried nvidia again as it was available in a windows update.But it caused problems again so I did a system restore to get the generic driver back.

how well does the generic Driver run for games. Because the driver that crashed for me was the Nvidia 8600.

#4 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:59 AM

I do not realy play a lot of games,but the few I have tried I have not had a problem.I kept reporting problem with nvidia through microsoft problems reports and solutions and they in the end gave me the generic driver.I think there is a minor difference in picture quality on the negative side but other than that I have had no problem.

#5 Gratious

Gratious
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:32 AM

Think you could find the link for the generic driver for me so I could give it a try to see if it will fix my slight problem.

#6 cod head

cod head

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:06 PM

I went to microsoft website and found this website wich looks promising.It says it has nvidia generic drivers.I checked it out with wot and it has all green circles so should be safe.guru3d.com.is what I came up with.You will need to know what driver you want as it stocks many.Also there is this site I found in yahoo answers www.opendrivers.com/categorycompa.Dont forget to make a restore point before instalation just in case.

Edited by cod head, 22 December 2008 - 02:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users