Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem/Router Firewall

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vlmnz

vlmnz

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:28 AM

I have a DLINK wireless ADSL router DSL-G604T, which I understand has a built in firewall. I have looked in the routers settings and it says Firewall Enabled. I am also using Comodo firewall, but am wondering if I need this as well as having the routers firewall enabled? Do I need both? Is the routers firewall sufficient on its own? If I do use just the routers firewall, do I need to configure it for optimum use? I am using Vista and Firefox. I mainly use my computer for browsing, email and internet banking. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:47 AM

I certainly advise using both firewalls, as each can achieve things the other cannot.

The router firewall has no way to take control of and monitor your computer's ports, or the behavior of software running on your computer. A good software firewall such as Comodo can detect outgoing packets that appear to be legitimate (ie they will be accepted and passed by the router firewall), but have a questionable source (eg an application that has never sought a connection before or has changed since it last connected, or code that is running from within an application but doesn't belong to that application - code injection- suggesting an infection). It can then block the requested port and ask permission to allow the requested connection. However a threat such as a virus can attempt to shut down a software firewall, but has no way to shut down the router firewall, as that firewall is not running on your computer.

So an external firewall such as that in an ADSL router/gateway is a difficult-to-compromise barrier to intrusion, but it relies on your computer giving it uncompromized data to begin with. The addition of a software firewall makes it much harder for any kind of malware to generate compromised data that would appear to be genuine and hence fool the router firewall.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 vlmnz

vlmnz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:09 PM

Hi Platypus, Thank you for your quick, logical and easy to understand (for a noob like me) reply.
There was no real reason why I wanted to stop using Comodo, I just enjoy tinkering and trying out new things with my computer. I had read somewhere that some people only use the routers firewall and figured I would check out more about doing that as well.
I will heed your advise and leave everything as it is, especially as it has worked well for me so far.
I hope you have a great Christmas and a hot, sunny New Years. We are hoping to do the barbie at the beach thing this year so fingers crossed for a nice day.
Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users