Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Adapter Virus?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 miknwv

miknwv

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:11 AM

Myself along with a few other friends have been hit with a similar virus. We're all pretty tech savvy so we were taken aback by how complex it was. I'll describe some of the similar symptoms we all had here and see if you can figure it out.

Myself:
1. I use a VPN to connect to my workplace for email via Outlook (not express). VPN could connect fine but outlook would intermittently (nearly every 30 seconds) lose connection, then regain connection to the VPN server.
2. Couldn't update spyware removal tools (malwarebytes, SpybotSD and AVG.
3. There was a process (I can't remember the name of) that looked out of place and every time I would end process or end process tree it would come back.
4. Ran Hijack this and deleted several unfamiliar files. When I went to delete a file (cannot remember name, sorry again) that was located in the C:/windows/system32 folder it said couldn't delete, write protected, etc. So I used the "unlocker" tool and deleted it. Screen flashed and file was deleted. Spybot SD, malwarebytes and AVG all came back with no threats found.
5. I have a program I use for transcription that connects to a server somewhere in Boston. The "program" actually is just Microsoft Word with tons of macros built around it to make it functional for transcription. I had frequent macro database errors and had to reboot frequently.
6. For some reason, when Outlook was open, things ran smooth for the most part. Then when Outlook was open and I went to play a sound file the audio got choppy, then went away completely. When I looked in my sounds and devices under control panel it said i had no audio hardware. Would reboot and fix problem.
7. Would take longer than normal on boot up to go from login screen to explorer.exe being fully functional.
8. Programs ran perfectly fine when I ended task on explorer.exe, and I'm no stranger to navigation so I could function like that.
9. Deleted my system restore points so I couldn't revert.
10. Sent computer to my employer (I work from home) and they're gonna reformat and flash my HD with the typical progs I need for work.

Friend number 1: Infected worse than me.
1. Would not allow friend number 1 to go to numerous websites, especially ones that hosted spyware removal tools.
2. Would only allow friend number 1 to run very few programs.
3. When he would get AVG or spybot SD open it would not let him update them, like it was blocked from updating or something.
4. Would not let him use system restore at all. He could pick a date to restore to but when he clicked next, nothing would happen.
5. Friend number 1 had to completely reformat his HD.

Friend number 2: Friend number 2 flipped out, didn't relay any details but only screamed that he was having similar problems.

Coworker:
1. Uses exact same system as I do.
2. Complained of exact same problems I had.

Is anyone familiar with this or know what it is, and if so, do you have any information I could relay to our IT guy?

Much help would be appreciated,

Mike

Edited by miknwv, 22 December 2008 - 02:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users