Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware Guard 2008

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rooter

Rooter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:25 AM

Hello, I have contracted the infamous spyware, Spyware Guard 2008, I also have the pop up windows securtity center thing giving my false baloons/warnings. I have downloaded Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009 trial edition, seems to be a great virus/adware remover, however I am unable to update it because the adware that I have been infested with will not allow me to update it or access certain webpages with Internet Explorer. I have also downloaded Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, well just the setup portion anyway. It will not install on my infected pc, I have tried changing the file name and have changed the extention name(as said to do in other post) and still nothing. I am about an inch away from smashing the infected pc and just putting all my music and movies on my external. I was successful on installing the full program of Kaspersky, am just unable to update the definitions so the software is useless. If there is another way to update it I am more then glad to try (I have installed Kaspersky on my wifes pc and updated and registered her version, I copied her files in her application data folder onto my external and put them with my pc and told kaspersky updater to look in such folders was successful with 5% of the updates but not nearly enough to make a difference). I also installed Malwarebytes on my external and when plugged into the infected pc it will not open at all like something is blocking it form working. Also just a heads up I can not access any of my hidden folders or files because

Rooter

Edited by Rooter, 22 December 2008 - 12:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:19 AM

If mbam won't install

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it. Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Rooter

Rooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:01 PM

Thanks for the reply, but I have already tried to change the name and the extention .exe, as noted in the 1st post I made. Even with the name changes Malwarebytes or what ever is unable to install. I think this one is going to hard to solve, honestly. I went today and talked to my local "Geeksquad" at Bestbuy, and they are worthless unless you pay them the $200 to fix it for you, thank but I will try on my own 1st. Please anyone that may help with this. Please read my 1st post to know what I am experiencing and what I have already tried.

#4 Rooter

Rooter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:33 AM

I was hoping to find some help on this website but I guess I was mistaken

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:30 PM

See if this will work for you
--------------------------

ATF
Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Now SAS,may need an hour
Please download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users