Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

looking to upgrade, possibly

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 dnap

dnap

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:36 PM

i would like to upgrade my computer, as it says in the title, either a whole new motherboard, or a new processor, but dont know if i am able to upgrade anything or not, and would like to see if i can get any help here. the motherboard is an ASUS i believe, part number is 323091-001, and ive attached a link as well. i believe its about 4 years old, and i mean its not bad, its pretty fast, but lately seems to be acting weird, and bogs down a lot over nothing, so im sure there is better stuff out there. if anyone knows anything about this, or has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=AS...P-R&cat=MBB

Edited by dnap, 21 December 2008 - 11:38 PM.

CPU - AMD FX-8350 Black Edition

Motherboard -MSI 990FXA-GD80

Ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Video Card - MSI Radeon R9 280

Storage - Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM

Power Supply - hec XP1080 800W

Case - Antec DF-35

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:12 AM

I would go with replacing the motherboard and processor. That Asus mobo uses an old Socket 478, the precursor to the Socket LGA775. There are no recent processors available for that motherboard. The only one I could find was a Pentium 4 at Newegg. Replacing a motherboard can be tricky. First, you need to determine which parts you can reuse, such as the expansion cards, RAM, and hard drives. After looking at those motherboard specs, you should replace the RAM since most boards these days use higher than DDR400. Next is the processor, which I mentioned earlier, needs to be replaced for an LGA775 processor. Most expansion cards will be easily transferable, but pay attention to the number of cards you have now the number of slots on the new motherboard. Also, you will have to reinstall the operating system after you finish rebuilding the PC.

3939.png

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:09 PM

Well...how much money are you prepared to spend?

Depending on that, we can probably suggest better options available.

As stated, the best combo short of a new system...would be a motherboard/CPU combination. You can buy the necessary RAM at what are now inexpensive prices.

I would be looking at AMD AM2/AM2+ motherboard bundles as a decent, inexpensive upgrade.

Louis

#4 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:44 PM

from what ive read and understand, this motherboard is only capable of going up to a 3.4Ghz processor after some tweaking, so id rather not have to mess with doing all that.

as for your question louis, money isnt nessecarily an option, id say less than $1000, but preferrably in the range of $500 and under if i can get something good for that range. if that helps any, id appreciate any other responses.

EDIT: i forgot to mention, i use my computer a lot with photoshop and 3d max for school, and playing online games occasionally, so something that can handle all that, not that mine cant, just feels like it struggles sometimes -lol-

Edited by dnap, 22 December 2008 - 06:46 PM.

Case - Antec DF-35

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:39 PM

LOL...if I was willing to spend anywhere in the area of $1,000 for a system...I'd just buy a new system.

If I bought a boxmaker system (Dell, HP, eMachines, etc.), then I would take a look at the Dell systems. Only reason I would ever consider buying such a system would be if I intended it as a gift for someone who did not intend to maintain it themselves, but who wanted to comfortable that support would be there when needed. I don't need such with systems I put together myself.

Seriously...I could put two systems together with that amount of money...that can easily handle the tasks you describe...with the possible exception of games. I don't spend on fluff and I don't game, so $1,000 would go a long way with me :thumbsup:.

As for most apps...memory-intensive is the key phrase. Put as much RAM into the system as it can support and the system will perform at its optimum. RAM is dirt cheap these days.

Add More Memory (MS) - http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/addmemory.mspx

Louis

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:58 PM

Under $1000 is doable, especially when you consider the fact that you can reuse many parts from your old PC, such as the hard drives, expansion cards, and case.

I'm only going to include the bare essentials since you are reusing parts.

Case: You can reuse your old one, if you want a full-tower ATX case, you may need to upgrade to accommodate larger graphics cards in the future.

Optical Drives: Reuse, unless it is very old. With the motherboard I selected, it will only use SATA or PATA drives, not IDE.

Hard Drives: Depends, if you want more space or need a SATA drive get a new one.

Motherboard: MSI K9A2 Platinum AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - This motherboard will accommodate the Phenom II CPU's when they are released in Jan. $149 (before $25 mail-in rebate)

RAM: OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Your current RAM is DDR 400, the motherboard will only take DDR2 1066. Get two of these kits to maximize the amount of RAM you can use. $64 each, $129 for two. (before $30 mail-in rebate)

CPU: AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor - The Black Edition processor does have an unlocked multiplier making overclocking easier. This one does include a heatsink in the package. $159

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit - You need a 64-bit operating system to use more than 4GB of memory. XP 64-bit just sucks, it doesn't implement 64-bit as well as Vista. $99

Optional Equipment - Get the stuff below here if you want to upgrade other components you will not be reusing.

Power Supply: RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-730SS 730W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply - It is modular, making cable management a breeze. Get this if your current power supply is below 600 watts. $99 (before $35 mail-in rebate)

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - As mentioned earlier, you will need a SATA drive to connect to the motherboard. If you already have one, you won't need this. $84

Optical Drive: SAMSUNG Combo Drive - If you already have a SATA optical drive, this is unnecessary. $28

Graphics Card: HIS Hightech H487F512P Radeon HD 4870 512MB - Your motherboard supports Crossfire allowing you to chain two or more ATI cards together. If you already have a good graphics card, you don't need this. Note that due to the size of this card, you should install it in a full ATX tower case. The card is 11 inches long. $199 (before $10 mail-in rebate)

Case: Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-US-BA-WOPSU Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - If you already have a good case, you don't need this. $69 (before $20 mail-in rebate)

Cost $539 (without optional upgrades), $1023 (with all optional upgrades)

3939.png

#7 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:03 AM

wow, thats some list! well, since im not a computer guru, could you tell me, what makes the motherboard and cpu better than what i currently have? i would just like to get all the info, before i commit to something. the cpu i have now is a 3Ghz dual core, and the one you showed me was a 2.5Ghz, but i was reading some comments, and it seems easy to overclock it(not that i know how to do this or anything)...

i will definately get the ram you showed me when i upgrade.

as for hard drives, i have both an SATA - WD1500ADFD, and a PATA drive, courtesy of louis, that i use now, so i can reuse them, and i have a regular cd drive and floppy drive i use occasionally, but cant remember if they are PATA or IDE?

as for OS, i really dont like vista, and dont think i need to run more than 4GB of ram, so id like to stay with XP, since i have the cd's for it anyways. and i really dont know anything about 64bit or 32bit...

as for my power supply, it says total output 240W so im a little shy of that 600W range...

i think, not sure, but i think my motherboard has a built in video card? could be wrong tho...

the case i have is pretty huge, 18" tall, 17.5" long, and 6.5" wide, so i doubt ill have any fitment issues. i believe that covered all your points, if you dont mind DJBPace07, if you could help me out with my questions, or anyone else, it is greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~tg

Case - Antec DF-35

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:59 AM

I hope I didn't overwhelm you with the list! Don't worry about the clock speed, when you go from a single or dual-core processor operating at 3Ghz to a quad-core operating at 2.5Ghz, that's a major speed increase. Essentially, a quad core is four processing cores running at 2.5Ghz each. Vista is better able to manage the cores than XP. The motherboard allows for one PATA device and six SATA devices. The CD drive would need to be SATA, such as the one I listed above, to be usable as would the floppy drive. You could get a USB floppy drive to use since there are few, if any, SATA floppy drives on the market. As for the OS, you cannot simply keep XP on one PC and install it on a new PC without first uninstalling it from the old PC, doing so would violate the license. Is there any particular reason you want to avoid Vista? You could always wait a year for Windows 7, but that is basically Vista with some user interface upgrades. When it comes to RAM, note that 32-bit has a 4GB max limit. From that 4GB, the computer will take away RAM needed for addressing components, such as the video card. Once this is over, the PC will then have a maximum of 3 to 3.5 GB available for Windows to use. There are differences between 64-bit and 32-bit besides the fact that Vista 64-bit allows for up to 120ish gigabytes of RAM. Mainly, 64-bit allows for faster instruction sets. If an application has been created to use these instructions and increased RAM limits, the difference in speed over 32-bit would be significant. People working with large amounts for data, such as graphic designers, CAD, gamers, multimedia editing, and content creators would easily benefit. Adobe Photoshop CS4 is one program that runs 64-bit native. XP 64-bit is not as compatible with 32-bit software and hardware as Vista is. WOW64, the software the 64-bit operating system uses to emulate a 32-bit environment required by many programs, is more mature and refined in Windows Vista. On to the power supply, yes, 240W is puny and that would need to be changed. You might want to compare your case size to the one listed in my list to make extra sure they closely match.

Additional Resources - Might be useful.
Multiple Core CPU's explained
x86-64 explained
An Introduction to 64-bit Computing and x86-64 <<<It's a long read and a little old, but very informative

3939.png

#9 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:08 PM

i wouldnt say i was overwhelmed, more like surprised you compiled that big of a list -lol-

as for the CPU, i didnt realize when i looked at it that it was a quad-core, so it would obviously be better, i was just to busy looking at the Ghz to realize it, thats all.

as for my cd and floppy drive, couldnt i use a PCI card for IDE? i wouldnt mind getting a newer cd drive, but my tower has a spot for the floppy, and would prefer to keep it there if possible.

as for my XP, whats wrong with uninstalling it from my computer now then reinstalling it on the new motherboard? or just not uninstall it, and reinstall it on the new motherboard? i mean im sure there are people doing more illegal stuff with computers than me going against the license. i paid for XP, so i should be able to use it for myself how i see fit, i should think anyways...

as for vista, i just dont like the interface, and stuff being moved around, and ive heard lots of problems with it, and what not. but some people say its nice, so im sure it cant be all bad, im just used to XP after using it for 7 years.

i am going to school for CAD now, and use autoCAD, but it really doesnt use much memory at all, unlike 3d max and photoshop CS3(dont have CS4) and i have 1.75GB of RAM now, so 4GB would be fine im sure.

and for the power supply, i will make sure to upgrade it, since im sure i will need it, and i will also check out the links you gave as well. thanks for the help so far!

Case - Antec DF-35

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:57 PM

You can probably keep the floppy drive in a PATA configuration and get a newer SATA DVD drive. Don't worry about Vista, most of the issues have been ironed out with SP1 and, if you don't like the way it looks, it can be easily changed. I used XP from 2003 until Vista was released, it took a couple of days to get used to Vista but I did and now I won't go back to XP...it seems like a dinosaur to me. There are more compelling reasons to go to that OS such as a more stable multiprocessor infrastructure (needed for multi-core processors), better security and (usually) stability, and newer OS features not found in XP. You can certainly move XP from one PC and install it on another, if you uninstall it first. If you have an OEM edition of XP, you may be violating the license if you do that. All modern software is licensed these days, you don't really own anything beyond the permission to use it, as you will discover if you read the EULA. Those who pirate make things worse on everyone else since software makers feel the need to combat it with DRM and half-baked authentication schemes that hurt legitimate users. As for the RAM, it is very cheap so why not get as much as you can. If you look at my (long) list, there are two kits for $64 a piece. Each kit comes with a $30 mail-in rebate so if you get two kits, it would cost a grand total of $68 which is little more than the cost of a single kit. Even if you don't get 64-bit right away, you can still use 32-bit Windows on a PC with 8GB. 64-bit allows for both more memory and more efficient, and thus faster, 64-bit instruction sets.

AutoCAD 2009 and 2008 runs natively with Vista 64-bit. If you run an older edition of AutoCAD you might want to look at this link.

3939.png

#11 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:57 PM

ok so i ordered my stuff and got it all today, i went with the same motherboard, but waited for the phenom 2, plus they had a package deal, so it saved me $35. i only went with 1 of the 2x2 ram, for now, i dont think ill need more than that since i plan on staying with xp. i got that same video card, and power supply, and upgraded my cd drive to something new too. now my concern is, will there be anything special i have to do when putting this together other than putting some thermal paste on the processor? also, my other concern is that the version of xp i have is meant for my computer i have now, so what would that do if i tried to install it on this new stuff??? i have an older xp cd that is an 8 in 1 that i could use, then just get sp1-3, would that work? im sorry but i just do not like vista at all, and do not want it, i love xp, even if vista has new features...

Case - Antec DF-35

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:59 PM

You may not even have to apply thermal paste since many heatsink and fan units have it pre-applied. You should be able to install XP, assuming that the license is valid. Also, the XP disc cannot be an OEM version from Dell, HP, or any other major manufacturers since installing it could void the license. Waiting around might not be such a bad idea, Windows 7 should be out in about a year. If you hate Vista, you may not like 7 very much.

3939.png

#13 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:49 PM

well i applied the thermal paste anyways, i watched a video just to make sure on how to do it right. and i do have a valid xp license, but i might just get xp professional 64-bit since i only have home edition, to make better use of this stuff, however, im a little concerned if its all going to fit, it might be tight, especially the power supply, i looks like it might just fit width wise, if not, ill buy another case, i just thought mine was already big enough, ill keep you updated since i plan on putting all in tonight, cant wait :thumbsup:

Case - Antec DF-35

#14 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:16 PM

Use caution with XP 64-bit, it doesn't have the same compatibility with hardware or software as XP 32-bit or even Vista 64-bit.

3939.png

#15 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:38 AM

yes, i was reading about that, i dont like the sound of that, but isnt it still possible to get driver and hardware to work if you install it manually? i thought i saw something like that...

also, my case isnt going to work, the power supply i could only get 1 screw to hold it on, the motherboard just barely fit, the power-on switch cable isnt compatible with this board, and with all the power supply cables plugged in, i needed a little more width too. i did turn it on manually with the button on the board, but it wouldnt load windows, i think maybe because i had the SATA plug from the harddrive plugged into one of the RAID plugs, since the graphics card was in the way, although i can move it, it was just temporary. it did recognize the harddrive, so it knows its there. will that case you suggested work with all the stuff i got, as well as my floppy drive? does best buy, or circuit city etc. sell cases, or do i have to buy them online?

thanks for all the help so far!

Case - Antec DF-35

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users