Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up a Network.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tommymac

tommymac

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:34 PM

Situation: I have just purchase a couple of new computers, one is a Toshiba Laptop and the other a HP Desktop. Both run Vista Home Premium SP1. I have an old one that is still functional, running XP SP2, and has a wireless router, Linksys WRT 150N, configured for the sole purpose of running a couple of wireless B game adaptors. The router is currently not configured in “Security” mode. My 17 year old son purchased and installed this router some time ago. Up until now I did not know about router security. I have been learning since attempting a “Network”. Now keep in mind I know nothing about networking as well. This whole Vista thing is new to me too.

This is what I’d like to do. Uninstall the Router from the old XP desktop and install it in the new Desktop then set up a secured Network using the new Desktop as the “home base”. It would include the two wireless B game adaptors, the new laptop and the old desktop. Can this be done?

Now keep in mind that the more I try to learn about such an endeavor the more confused I am becoming. The wireless game adaptors do not have any kind of set up disk. Can they be incorporated into a Secure Network? Could someone please explain the steps I should take to set up this system? What do I do first? Then next? :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance
Tommy
MacBook Pro OS X 10.8.2 Intel 2.2 GHz i7 4 megs Ram 750 GB HD
MacBook Pro OS X 10..8.2 Intel 2.5 GHz i5, 4 megs 500 GB HD
Desktop: HP Pavilion a6614f: 640 gig hard drive, 6GB ram, AMD Phenom X4, Windows 7
Avast Free Antivirus, MBAM Pro, SuperAntiSpyware Free, Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:34 AM

Well the first thing you need to do is find out what you network scheme is. You can obtain this information by going onto the xp machine when it is connected to the router (xp is easier to do this than vista). Click START>RUN>and type CMD into the run dialog box. This will bring you to a black command prompt. Type in "IPCONFIG" without the quotations. This will give you information on what your IP address is and your DEFAULT GATEWAY. Write down the Gateway Address (usually 192.168.1.1). Then open your internet explorer and in the ADDRESS bar, type "//<GATEWAY ADDRESS>". This will connect you into the routers web interface Usual default username and password could possibly be:

admin/admin
admin/<blank>
<blank>/admin

Then under WIRELESS tab, you should see another option for SECURITY. This section will allow you to enter in a WEB and most times a WPA encryption key. Once you enter and save this new encryption key, you will have to manually reconnect into the network (Control Panel>Network Connections>right click on wireless adapter and select "View Available Networks"). Disconnect from the network and reconnect, and it will prompt you for the password/encryption key.

After this, you can connect your modem to the router as you normally would and leave it somewhere in your house (does not need to be directly connected to a pc unless that pc does not have wireless). Then just connect the two vista machines by going into your Control Panel>Network Settings. Then enter the encryption key there and your set.

As far as the two wireless adapters, you can go to the manufacturers website to download the DRIVERS for them and put them on a cd or a flash drive to install them on other computers.

NOTE: Computers directly connected to the router do not require you to enter WEP or WPA encryption keys.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 tommymac

tommymac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:30 PM

Thank you for replying to my post gavin. Things have gotten pretty busy ‘round here, so it may be a while before I can get going on this project. ‘was wondering if you could please answer a question for me in the meantime? To what degree are the risks of having an unsecured wireless Network? Does the open router mean that ONLY people who get a signal from it have access to our files and internet service, or is there a larger demon lurking in that it opens up our machines to creeps that could be thousands of mile away? My son and I are debating this point and a professional’s perspective would be very much appreciated. Thanks
Tom
Desktop: HP Pavilion a6614f: 640 gig hard drive, 6GB ram, AMD Phenom X4, Windows 7

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:19 AM

You are only in danger from those who are in range of your wireless network. The main thing you have to worry about is your shared files and personal information. Not to mention that if said person connecting into your wireless is downloading illegal things IE: Movies, Music, Games Ect. The government or RIAA will come knocking on YOUR door, not theirs.

Gavin Seabrook

#5 tommymac

tommymac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:09 AM

He won, anyway, thanks for that last reply gavin. I will post to this thread when\if we run into problems setting things up.
Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users