Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe error

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Xeon1

Xeon1

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:33 PM

Every time I go into a particular folder that contains .avi files I get an explorer.exe error. Only this folder however, but not other folders that contain .avi files. These are the errors I get:

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 1000
Source: Application Error
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: ER_USERCRASH_LOG
Message: Faulting application %1, version %2, faulting module %3, version %4, fault address 0x%5.

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 1001
Source: Application Error
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: DW_BUCKET_LOG

Edited by Xeon1, 21 December 2008 - 08:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:02 PM

Info for someone else to figure out :thumbsup::

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid...ror&phase=1

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid...ror&phase=1

Situations seem to be quite varied.

Louis

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:12 PM

Search your hard drive for files ending in .dmp and .mdmp We're looking for one that was created around the time that the error messages were generated.

If you locate one, please post back and we'll see about debugging the file. I'll ask that you use this link to perform and analysis of it. Since it's an user-level crash rather than a kernel level crash it'll be a bit different - but we can work through that to see if the memory dump contains any useful information.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:59 PM

See if this solves the problem:

Go Start > Run and type:

regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll

Go Start > Run and type:

regsvr32 shmedia.dll
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Xeon1

Xeon1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:09 AM

Search your hard drive for files ending in .dmp and .mdmp We're looking for one that was created around the time that the error messages were generated.

If you locate one, please post back and we'll see about debugging the file. I'll ask that you use this link to perform and analysis of it. Since it's an user-level crash rather than a kernel level crash it'll be a bit different - but we can work through that to see if the memory dump contains any useful information.

This is the only .dmp and .mdmp files i found:

Mini051808-01.dmp
Mini112208-01.dmp

Steam__183733__2006_10_22T1_18_15C112640.mdmp
Steam__2707__2008_11_5T6_2_58C26937.mdmp
Steam__269929__2008_1_21T20_58_56C688765.mdmp
Steam__4361__2008_10_23T3_54_56C395437.mdmp

How do I find out when the files are created or how to debug them?

See if this solves the problem:

Go Start > Run and type:

regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll

Go Start > Run and type:

regsvr32 shmedia.dll

I tried what you suggested but I still get the error when ever I go into that .avi folder.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:49 PM

Looking at the number of Steam .mdmp errors, I'd suspect that Steam was to blame. Try uninstalling it and then reinstalling a new copy (in case the old copy is corrupted) to see if that fixes it. It's not the MiniXXXXXX-XX.dmp files - as they're kernel mode crashes (Blue Screens), not user mode (such as the explorer.exe errors).

You can use this link to analyze one of the Steam .mdmp files (but it's a bit different than the instructions): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/
Just follow the instructions, substituting .mdmp for .dmp
I haven't done this for a while (and don't have any .mdmp files to work with) - but we can work through any issues that may crop up.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Xeon1

Xeon1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:51 PM

I get this report:

Loading Dump File [C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\steamapps\xxx@XXX.XXX\counter-strike\Steam__183733__2006_10_22T1_18_15C112640.mdmp]
User Mini Dump File: Only registers, stack and portions of memory are available

Comment: ''
Symbol search path is: SRV*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Executable search path is:
Windows XP Version 2600 (Service Pack 2) UP Free x86 compatible
Product: WinNt, suite: SingleUserTS
Machine Name:
Debug session time: Sat Oct 21 20:18:15.000 2006 (GMT-5)
System Uptime: not available
Process Uptime: 0 days 0:01:53.000
This dump file has an exception of interest stored in it.
The stored exception information can be accessed via .ecxr.
(f9c.dcc): Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)
eax=05f50000 ebx=00000000 ecx=00000007 edx=7c90eb94 esi=1fda88f0 edi=00000f9c
eip=7c90eb94 esp=0012d83c ebp=0012d84c iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr na pe nc
cs=001b ss=0023 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=003b gs=0000 efl=00200246
ntdll!KiFastSystemCallRet:
7c90eb94 c3 ret

There is no !analyze -v link, so I don't know what to do next.

Edited by usasma, 23 December 2008 - 05:59 PM.
Edited email address out of dump file header

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:01 PM

Well, you did great! That's just what we needed - unfortunately, I can't make much out of it. It's a memory access violation and it happened with ntdll.dll - but there's not definitive answer as to what actually caused it.

I'd still suggest uninstalling Steam, rebooting, then install a fresh copy of Steam (to make sure your copy isn't corrupted).

#9 Xeon1

Xeon1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:14 PM

Ok thanks, I'll try that and get back to you.

Edit: I uninstalled it but I am still getting the error. So I guess Steam wasn't the problem afterall.

Edited by Xeon1, 23 December 2008 - 10:18 PM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2008 - 12:43 PM

Hmmm - this is a poser!

Since the error happens on one particular folder, try copying the stuff in it to another location.
Try opening the AVI files in the new location. If they open successfully - then delete the old folder and it shouldn't bother you again.

#11 Xeon1

Xeon1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 03:22 AM

I tried what you suggested but it did not work. Some how it seems like the problem is following whatever folder contains the files. Sigh... I guess I will just have to live with it. Thanks for all the help anyways.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:04 PM

We just don't give up that easily! :thumbsup: I've got a ton more suggestions!

Try creating a new folder and see if you can open it.
Once that's done, copy the smallest AVI file into it and see if you can open it.
If it doesn't open, submit that file to http://virusscan.jotti.org and let us know if it's clean or not.

#13 Xeon1

Xeon1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 01:52 AM

I have sucessfully made and opened a new folder. However when I transfer the file to the new folder an error also occurs in explorer.exe. I tried opening the file with media player it errors out. I just realize any .avi file that I try opening with media player errors out. My default player is VLC so I haven't noticed this problem before, so I'm not sure which file I should submit to be scanned.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:18 AM

Submit the first file that you tried. If it comes back clean, then we can suspect a problem with your operating system
Further submissions can confirm/refute this.

Once we know where the error is coming from, we can focus our efforts there.

#15 Xeon1

Xeon1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:13 PM

I submitted the file but it seems to big to be scanned. It just kept saying that its being scanned. I left it going for a couple of hours but when I came back the status was "Ready for scan". I am using Anti-Malware and Kaspersky and scanned the file using both but it came back negative. Any other suggestion?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users