Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow boot, missing taskbar

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 marcwallace

marcwallace

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:47 PM

I posted my problem here last night, but made the mistake of trying to give too much information, and included a HJT log on my post. It got the post put away in some dark dusty corner, so now, because of the lack of basic functions on my computer, I have to re-explain this one.

I just finished updating Quicktime, because of the iTunes/Quicktime bug. After that I added about 100gb of music to iTunes, then opened WMP. My computer froze, would not respond for about 10 minutes, so I hit the reset button of the front. While it was booting I noticed it taking longer than usual, and when it got the the welcome screen it sat there for a good 5 minutes instead of the normal 30 seconds. After it finally logged on, I got my desktop icons, but no taskbar or sound. I restarted again, thinking it was just a one off, but no, it isn't.

So far, I have tried System Restore, but that said it could not protect my computer, try again after restarting. Fail there.
I tried to repair the Windows installation, but that repair console is a pain in the ass after dealing with a mouse and keyboard after so long. Another fail there.
Also tried to look at my Event Viewer, and found that I could not open any of the events information. Nor can I open a search pane in the explorer window.
Also tried HJT, but it came up empty. Tried some malwarebytes thing, but there is a problem with my VBasic that wont let it run, and well as the RSI Tool that comes from this site.

As far as I can tell, whatever happened, happened in the space of about 5 - 10 minutes while I was updating Quicktime, and yet no-one has any similar problem from installing Quicktime.

This is not the Lcass, nor MSCONFIG malware w/e's, I have checked.

System: (let me know if you need to know more)
Win XP Home SP3
Intel Dualcore
ATI Radeon X550
300gb Seagate HDD
2 gb RAM

Any help on this would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:26 PM

<<I posted my problem here last night, but made the mistake of trying to give too much information, and included a HJT log on my post. It got the post put away in some dark dusty corner,...>>

Including a HJT log in this forum (Windows XP Home and Professional) when there is a separate forum for HJT logs IS a mistake, but not for the reasons that you seem to think it is.

You are not the only person who might have malware issues...and the HJT forum has many more persons with malware issues who also are seeking help/assistance/guidance ASAP.

Unfortunately, the HJT forum doesn't have enough persons with expertise that every request for support/assistance is immediately picked up on and given "urgent" status.

The persons working there do the best that they can, given the fact that solving malware issues is not necessarily something where one can say "take an aspirin and call me in the morning if the pain still persists."

I believe that all this is properly explained at the HJT forum...maybe you might want to take a look there, especially so if you feel that you have malware issues that won't be solved in the XP forum, no matter how much any of the members/visitors here might try to solve them.

FWIW: Loss of multiple Windows functions is one of the key indicators of a malware problem, IMO. If my system had the same symptoms you have described, elimination of malware as a possible cause would be my first step, via a proper post in either the Am I Infected or HJT forums.

FWIW: It's also good to remember that the members/visitors of this forum who attempt to help...are volunteering their knowledge and time to try to help...strangers who might be in need of technical assistance...and who do not want to pay for such at any of those businesses where "computer repair" equates to cash outflow.

Louis

#3 marcwallace

marcwallace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:24 PM

I'm sorry, it's just i have had very little sleep and I'm not functioning at my best. I will start going through the proper channels now.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:56 AM

Louis

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:26 PM

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After it’s finished it will restart into Windows automatically.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 marcwallace

marcwallace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:12 AM

I did that, and there is no change to what is happening. Just says that the drive is clean. Anyone else have any ideas?

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:37 AM

Try running the System File Checker:

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:56 AM

This sounds like a malware problem. Was your original post moved to the HJT forum? If so, I would advise staying with that.

Edited by Zllio, 03 January 2009 - 03:57 AM.

#9 marcwallace

marcwallace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:31 PM

Sorry for the delay between my replies, I have just started a new job so time has been short. I've run SFC before, and I don't think it had any errors first off, but i'm running it again just to be sure. If I still have a problem with this, what else can you recommend to do?

#10 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:57 PM

Hi marcwallace,

Did you complete the procedures in the HJT forum? I think if 5 days go by without a response, they close the thread unless you request that it be reopened. You said some things in your post that makes it sound like it might be malware or you didn't explain it very clearly. I think you said that HijackThis came up empty. What does that mean? And did it really say System Restore can't protect you? That's not a normal message. You can't get into the Event Viewer and MalwareBytes didn't work. This all sounds like malware symptoms. If your thread in HJT got closed, I'd do whatever the last instructions were and then ask them to reopen it if it's closed.
Zllio

Edited by Zllio, 28 January 2009 - 02:58 PM.

#11 marcwallace

marcwallace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:38 PM

The reason I am continuing in this thread is that I cannot find my other thread. Also, when I posted in the HJT forum, I got no helpful responses. Not to detract from the helpful userbase here, but I was told to move the thread to a more appropriate place, and after I did that I had no replies. Unfortunately for me, I have lost faith in this site, and I see no reason to continue my problem here. As far as I can tell, either no-one wants to help me except for you, and seeing as your responses were limited to "try this, ok, post somewhere else" I would rather this topic be closed now, as it is not helpful in anyway.

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:56 AM

You never posted back to say what the results of running SFC were.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:21 AM

Hi marcwallace,

I see by looking at all your topics, that you've had a time here trying to get help. You got one response in the Misplaced HJT logs section and your Am I Infected thread never got any response at all and that was on Dec. 21st. When you lose your own thread, click on your name next to your own post and a drop-down menu will appear and then select all topics. In your case, there should be three threads listed. Please go to the one in the Am I Infected forum and post again and ask them, if they would help you look for malware on your machine. I will also notify someone in that forum that you aren't getting farther here in the XP forum.

Zllio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users