Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer suddenly EXTREMELY slow

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Immediate

Immediate

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:15 PM

My computer was running fine until I downloaded an auto update for windows. Restart took THIRTY minutes to do anything and when it did, it showed the "you illegally shut down the computer, checking drives for errors" blue screen. I let it run but it got hung up on this screen for well over two hours before I forced another shut down.

On the next try I waited the thirty minutes for the disk checking screen and I skipped the checks, but it still took literally another thirty to forty five minutes for my desktop to be displayed. It just said "welcome" for the majority of the time. This is taking over an HOUR to start up my computer.

Safe mode mysteriously will NEVER start now. I've waited all day for it and nothing happens. Just a black screen with a bunch of white text for hours on end.

All I can do is start my computer normally, skip the checks, and wait. When the desktop finally appears, everything on the desktop is usable as normal. However, anything that appears in the taskbar (start button, tray items, anything) cannot be accessed via the taskbar and I have to use the ALT + TAB command to navigate my running programs. Internet Explorer takes about 10 seconds for my cursor to appear in a text box after I click it. Even scrolling cause the computer to "hang" for about thirty seconds. I randomly get messages that Internet Explorer has to close with an option to restart IE.

The add/remove programs (which has to be accessed through TASK MANAGER - RUN - CONTROL PANEL) at first would never populate the list of programs, and now it is at the point that add/remove programs will never open at all.

I can barely do anything on my computer but I've managed to update and run Ad-aware and Piriform CCleaner. Ad-aware found 2 critical problems but always gets hung up and freezes on a particular file:

software\microsoft\windows\current version\sharedDLLs...

CCleaner removed ~ 3.5 MB of something, whatever it is that it does.

I am on vacation and I do not have my windows xp disc available. I have no extra drives to save any information on, so erasing everything is not really an option unless it is absolutely last resort. I'm currently trying to download HIJACKTHIS - I don't think I have it anymore but should be able to get it if it will help find some answers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users