Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't shut down

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 carinsharon

carinsharon

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:17 PM

When I try to shut my computer completely down it will go through the shut down mode and then it automatically restarts on its own. The only way I can shut it down is to do a dirty shut down. There are no errors that occur pior to trying to shut the computer down. I have scanned and there isn't any virus on my computer. This is a whole new system that has only been up and running a couple of weeks. I noticed about a week ago it was doing the same thing when I tried to shut it down. I am running XP Pro with Service Pack 3 Installed. Also can someone tell me what the safe temp is for the CPU?

Thanks for any help you can give me

CarinSharon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:09 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Operating temperature ranges vary somewhat by processor...but my guess is that anything up to 65 Celsius may be a bit high but not do any damage.

If this is a new system and the temps are high, it's not likely that dust/dirt is a factor...but the heatsink/fan may not be properly attached (assuming that it's custom-built). If it's a boxmaker (Dell, HP, etc.) system, then that is not a likely scenario.

What temperatures are you concerned about...what is reflected for CPU temperature in the BIOS?

As for shutdown problems, take a look at

Troubleshoot XP Shutdown Problems (MS) - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308029 AND Troubleshooting Windows Shutdown Problems - http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_...s-Shutdown.html

Louis

#3 carinsharon

carinsharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:07 PM

The CPU temp in the Bios is between 51*C and 52*C...The reason why I am asking about the temp is that is what happened to my last computer. It got super hot and fried everything on the mother board..So I need to know what the safe temp is for it to run ok without any problems. I also checked the system temp and it was between 33*C and 34*C ..

As for the computer restarting when I try to shut it down. I went to the Microsoft sight and unchecked the auto restart on it. We'll see if I get any error messages when it happens again. I forgot that this computer has an AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor and I have installed Service Pack 3..This might also cause the problem. If this is the case how do I remove Service Pack 3 without having to wipe windows and start over from scratch?

CarinSharon

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:29 PM

If it hangs at shut down, it could be a process or a program not shutting down. If you leave Task Manager open when shutting down you might get a glimpse of which one
If it doesn't hang but just restarts, It's usually a damaged driver. First suspect would be the video driver
I had a MSI board that did that

Edited by garmanma, 21 December 2008 - 09:30 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:37 PM

Your thinking about SP3...is a bit out of focus.

The problem with SP3 lay in the manner in which certain manufacturers installed XP on AMD systems, including an Intel driver in the process.

Does your AMD-based computer boot after installing XP SP3 - Jesper's Blog - http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/arc...ing-xp-sp3.aspx

Read what is written under Problem Details.

HP has since put out a "fix" for its computers, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...c=en&dlc=en

Sooo...it appears that it's only HP systems that can have the flaws described...all other systems have to look elsewhere for answers to their problems.

Users like me with AMD processors which are not HP systems...had either no problems installing SP3 or had problems for other reasons :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users