Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu Illegal?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Doughnut77

Doughnut77

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:15 PM

I was thinking about trying Ubuntu, but I've heard from friends and other people that it has stolen code from Windows in it and is illegal to use, and anyone who uses it could get in a lot of trouble. Is this true?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:34 PM

This is pure fiction. Linux uses only source code which is released under the GNU General Public License or a compatible license. It is perfectly legal and contains nothing stolen from Microsoft.

Microsoft has asserted that Linux infringes on 235 of their patents. However to date Microsoft has never identified which patents nor which parts of Linux allegedly infringe. http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/for...5/28/100033867/

This leads many to believe that either Microsoft is flat out lying or that any such infringements as may exist are either very weak, disputable, or outright invalid.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:57 PM

Further Reading:
Why Is Microsoft Using Patent FUD Against Linux? Perhaps Because It Works
Microsoft's Claims About Linux Patent Infringement Are Old News And Old FUD
Microsofft says Linux is violating their patents, so Linux says Microsoft is violating theirs.
Microsoft Charges Patent Infringement / Action Against Linux
Linux Foundation: Microsoft’s Infringement Claims Not Legally Motivated

#4 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2008 - 02:13 AM

I was thinking about trying Ubuntu, but I've heard from friends and other people that it has stolen code from Windows in it and is illegal to use, and anyone who uses it could get in a lot of trouble. Is this true?

Admirable that you want to remain above board and legal, but if you do some research about MS you will see who has done plenty of stealing.

Amazing Andrew is correct. MS has been unable or unwilling to enumerate any alleged patent infringement. From a legal standpoint there are a few situations where you might want to "lie in wait", but generally it's in the best interest to present those grievances to a court and stop Linux from using your "alleged" code, but MS has not done this....hmmmm.

#5 power2thepeople

power2thepeople

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:26 PM

There is no reason for Linux to steel code from windows because they actually want there operating system to work LOL! joke its not about the operating system its about the tasks you need it for and whether it is compatible to complete them

Linux is a great operating system and a great tool I suggest that you at least try it. For the first time using it i suggest using ubuntu.com

#6 horned0wl

horned0wl

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:34 PM

I've been using Ubuntu Linux since release 6.10, and am flat out in love with it. After M$ forced an update that crashed my home media server, I've converted my whole home network (3 machines and growing) to Ubuntu, and haven't looked back.

All that said, the only folk who have even a shot at challenging Linux are Sun Microsystems and SCO Unix; but their challenges are pretty much dead.

People, particularly M$, M$ resellers and OEM manufacturers in bed with M$, will tell you all the horror stories you'd care to hear, but its only a reflection of their own fears that M$ just might get the boot in both business and household markets.

M$ has dropped below 90% market share for the first time this year, and their "slow decline" is picking up considerable speed due in part to the current economy, and in part to their pushing a bad OS (Vista). If I were you, I'd watch that, and consider changing before they force "Windows 7" down your throat.

Cheers;
horned0wl

Edited by horned0wl, 27 January 2009 - 12:35 PM.

#7 Mechanimal

Mechanimal

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:15 AM

I've been using Ubuntu Linux since release 6.10, and am flat out in love with it. After M$ forced an update that crashed my home media server, I've converted my whole home network (3 machines and growing) to Ubuntu, and haven't looked back.

M$ has dropped below 90% market share for the first time this year, and their "slow decline" is picking up considerable speed due in part to the current economy, and in part to their pushing a bad OS (Vista). If I were you, I'd watch that, and consider changing before they force "Windows 7" down your throat.

First off, I was wondering where you find the market share percentages of operating systems. It is a very good OS; I've only been using it since 7.10, but still going, albeit a short time. Can't wait until 9.10 when ext4 is implemented (I think that's the case).

I'd definitely recommend Ubuntu, and some other distro's far above Windows. I, so far, have one partition of Windows left on all 3 of my computers. However, that's only because I need it for some classes at school, and to a smaller extent, newer PC games. Ubuntu far exceeds 90% of the things I need to do on a PC.

#8 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:13 AM

All that said, the only folk who have even a shot at challenging Linux are Sun Microsystems and SCO Unix; but their challenges are pretty much dead.

If you add the install base of Solaris, Open Solaris, and SCO Unix you'd never even come close to the install base of Linux, much less OS X.

Solaris 10 and OS X 10.5 are both certified versions of Unix.

#9 horned0wl

horned0wl

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:26 PM

First off, I was wondering where you find the market share percentages of operating systems. It is a very good OS; I've only been using it since 7.10, but still going, albeit a short time. Can't wait until 9.10 when ext4 is implemented (I think that's the case).

I get my market share quotes from a number of sources, but most often cite InformationWeek - an IT trade journal for CEOs and CIOs. Often, also from /.

I'd definitely recommend Ubuntu, and some other distro's far above Windows. I, so far, have one partition of Windows left on all 3 of my computers. However, that's only because I need it for some classes at school, and to a smaller extent, newer PC games. Ubuntu far exceeds 90% of the things I need to do on a PC.

Agreed in spades! I have only one Winderz partition on one machine, for the hopelessly Winderz addicted who just can't live without it. And lately, that's only been one person -- hardly worth keeping it for that... Everything else is Ubuntu Linux. For Winders games, try SCUMMVM, and see if it'll handle your stuff. Sure works with the older DOS games. Otherwise, look into Win4Lin, WINE or any other fair-to-good Winderz emulator to run over your Linux platform.

#10 Mechanimal

Mechanimal

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:05 AM

I get my market share quotes from a number of sources, but most often cite InformationWeek - an IT trade journal for CEOs and CIOs. Often, also from /.

Agreed in spades! I have only one Winderz partition on one machine, for the hopelessly Winderz addicted who just can't live without it. And lately, that's only been one person -- hardly worth keeping it for that... Everything else is Ubuntu Linux. For Winders games, try SCUMMVM, and see if it'll handle your stuff. Sure works with the older DOS games. Otherwise, look into Win4Lin, WINE or any other fair-to-good Winderz emulator to run over your Linux platform.

Well, I do use ScummVM for some of my favourite old adventure games, and no complaints with it at all. I've also had success running Steam games in Ubuntu, namely Team Fortress 2. But occasionally a brand new game will come out and the installer won't even execute in Ubuntu; that unfortunately forces me to go into icky Windows. :thumbsup:

Win4Lin? I've never heard of that one -- I'm going to go look into it. I also tried a demo of one of those other "emulators" that you have to pay for, and it wasn't really that great. I forget the name of it, but Wine did the same thing for free -- glad I just had a trial and didn't actually pay for it.

Edited by Mechanimal, 30 January 2009 - 01:11 AM.

#11 horned0wl

horned0wl

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:06 AM

Win4Lin? I've never heard of that one -- I'm going to go look into it. I also tried a demo of one of those other "emulators" that you have to pay for, and it wasn't really that great. I forget the name of it, but Wine did the same thing for free -- glad I just had a trial and didn't actually pay for it.

I think Win4Lin is a pay-fer, but its available on the Linspire Click-N-Run (CNR) page. Have you ever tried WINE? That's a freebie, but for me, its been kinda hit/miss as to what it will actually run. Its s'posed to mimic Winderz XP, but sometimes can't get itself out of W2K -- for instance, it won't run MagicJack alternative VoIP telephone...

Cheers...

#12 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:41 PM

Check out http://appdb.winehq.org/ for which apps work with WINE and how to make them work.

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,870 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:53 PM

Slightly off topic
hornedOwl----You might want to read what another member posted in the link below concerning Majic Jack.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1037798

I have no other knowledge concerning Majic Jack, just read your post and remembered seeing this one.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#14 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:06 PM

For Windows games you should look into Crossover Games.
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/
It is not free, but i grabbed it during the Free Crossover Day.
I installed a couple Windows games and had no problems.
Depending on your level of gaming it might be worth the $40
price tag since it supports more games than Wine.

it won't run MagicJack

The MagicJack hardware is not compatible with Linux, running the
software with Wine or other emulator will do no good.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#15 horned0wl

horned0wl

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:26 PM

Check out http://appdb.winehq.org/ for which apps work with WINE and how to make them work.

Most of these appear to be either games or older software that's been overcome by time and industry. A few exceptions: why would I want .net on a Linux machine. Its one of the reasons I left Winderz -- ranks right up there with auto-engaged IIS (turns on by default during OS install). Any thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users