Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway Laptop Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nisage

Nisage

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:07 PM

I'm having a problem with my Gateway laptop. It was working fine, but now it won't go pass the... I think it's called loading screen, where you can use the F-number buttons. I can't enter safe mode, it keeps telling me to press ctrl+alt+delete do to some error. Now it just shows the screen where it says press F2 for BIOS and F10 for BOOT. Can anyone help? Please note I don't understand any computer language such as operating system, motherboard, video card, soundcard, basicly almost everything on the "Other Information" on someones profile here.

Edit: Moved topic from Apple/DOS/PDA/Other to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 22 December 2008 - 03:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 skiplc

skiplc

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:56 PM

We need to know the exact model or the serial number of your laptop. In the meantime; install any programs recently? Machine do anything weird just before this happened? Anyone else using your machine? This just happen with no warning?

#3 Nisage

Nisage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:06 PM

We need to know the exact model or the serial number of your laptop.

How do you find it's serial number?

In the meantime; install any programs recently? Machine do anything weird just before this happened? Anyone else using your machine? This just happen with no warning?

In order......
I installed RPG Maker XP and VX, Camtasia Studio 5, Windows Live Messenger, and that's all I can remember for newly installed programs. It was working fine, nothing out of the ordinary. I just moved my things from a computer that got hit with malware, took a long time with a 2 GB flashdrive. Basicly it was fine when I used it, I believe someone else used it, but it's been about a few months since they used it so I doubt they did anything to it that would screw it up like this (then again, I haven't been on it in a while either).

Edited by Nisage, 21 December 2008 - 09:07 PM.

#4 skiplc

skiplc

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:02 PM

You'll find it on the bottom;

http://support.gateway.com/s/MISC/CustIDSe...arningsu5.shtml

It'll be entered on this page

http://support.gateway.com/support/Default.aspx

so we can find out what operating system (XP?), hardware, and software it came with. We'll also be able to access any user manuals or other documentation that might help us.

Did you get the malware removed from your other computer before you moved files? You might have moved some of the malware too.

#5 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:58 PM

Does the error happen to be as follows? :

NTLDR Cannot be found

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#6 Nisage

Nisage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:37 AM

I believe it was removed, I did a virus scan and deleted all infected files. I found the serial number but a letter (or number, can't actually tell) is smudged. It didn't say anything about "NTLDR Cannot be found", and the Ctrl+Alt+Del did nothing at all, had to hold the power button for 5 seconds just to restart the thing. I believe it said something about it's OS system, not finding it or something like that. Sorry for the late (ok, really late) reply, a family member wanted to take it to a store to get it fixed, but I wanted to see if it could be fixed without having to do that. (The result was the store)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users