Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows xp 136 gig block

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 looney2340

looney2340

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:20 PM

Hi everyone i have a question. I am working on a friends computer its an HP pavilion with media center 2005 installed that had a samsung 250 gig hard drive and 2 512 sticks of memory... i replaced it all with a WD 320 gig drive and 2 1gig corsair memory sticks and i will be using the original HP restore discs.
How do i get around the 136 gig block in windows xp so i can see the full 320 gig of space on the drive. I would rather not slip stream because i am not experienced in slip streaming is there a simple straight forward way to lift the block.
Correct me if i am wrong but if i dont lift the block it will only show the drive size as 136 gig when you look in my computer but will be able to use the full 320 gig ? My friend is on the picky side so he would want to see the full 320 gig.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:39 PM

Well...I don't believe you can slipstream with restore/recovery disks anyway :thumbsup:. I've not seen anything that I would trust to work that indicates a working install CD was produced by efforts directed towards such.

As long as you have either SP2 or SP3 download and you install that after the MCE initial install, the entire hard drive would then be useable (but not seen in anything other than the BIOS and Disk Management). Useable is not really useable in XP until the space is formatted/partitioned.

The problem would be that your partition size could only then be adjusted by a tool such as Partition Magic 8.0 or later, since there is no XP support for altering partition sizes...other than creating new ones out of the unallocated space. You would be able to natively create additional partitions...but you could not alter the size of C:.

I don't think a C: partition that is larger than 40GB is a desireable thing, but that's just personal opinion.

Louis

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:10 PM

I had this issue with a Western Digital drive once, and used the Western Digital setup disk to initialize the drive (and recognize the entire capacity).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:34 PM

Actually, my thinking was a little fuzzy (as usual) :thumbsup:.

It's SP1 that eliminates the 137GB barrier in Windows XP, not SP2.

Sooo...if SP1 is included in your version of XP which is used to do the install, the entire hard drive will be recognized and should be capable of being formatted.

Louis

#5 looney2340

looney2340
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:31 PM

Hi hamluis a little more background i did some research on the HP site with the model number and serial number and found out when the computer was new it supposedly came with SP2 installed so if this is true when i install the new drive and use the restore disks i should be able to format and use and see the whole capacity of the 320 gigs as C: drive? I did advise my friend i would split it into seprate drives but he wanted it all as one C: drive.

Also usasma my WD drive did not come with a set up disc if i was able to download from the WD site what steps would be used to install the drive with windows and see the whole drive.

I still dont knonw why microsoft would put such a block on windows when drives were so big ?

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,495 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:11 AM

Microsoft is not responsible for the drive size limit. The ATA (sometimes called IDE) specification for hard drives imposed that limit on drives larger than 8.4GB in size which are accessed using Logical Block Addressing (LBA). When the ATA specification was updated to utilize 48bit LBA, larger IDE hard drives could be produced, but Windows needed to be updated to accommodate the new standard. This occurred with Windows XP SP1.

If your XP is SP1 or greater, you should be able to create a single partition the full size of the hard drive.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:28 PM

[rant]Why does everyone blame Microsoft? Microsoft makes an OS based on the capabilities of hardware at the time it's developed (not at it's release). Then vendors come up with new and greater things - and Microsoft becomes responsible for that after the fact? [/rant]

You can download the tool from the Western Digital website here: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp
Select the appropriate hard drive model, then download the Data Lifeguard tools and have them setup the drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 looney2340

looney2340
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:17 PM

EEkkk i learned something new today LoL i thought it was microsoft i didnt know it was the hard drives themselves that actually had the issue. Thanks for the help so what i got out of it was as long as the recovery discs have at least xp service pack 1 bundled within it i should be ok is that correct ???

Thank you for my new found knowledge :thumbsup:

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,495 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:41 AM

:thumbsup:

Indeed, as long as the XP to be installed is at least SP1, a partition the full size of the new drive should be able to be created.

However..., this may not be so if the original HP disks only provide the option to restore to original factory condition. In this case, the drive will be partitioned however the original system was partitioned ex-factory.

My own laptops have one of each of these possibilities. My older Compaq has an actual XP SP2 installation disk and an Application and Driver recovery DVD. I can use these to reinstall the OS in any way I wish.

My later HP laptop was not supplied with an OS install disk, it has a recovery partition on the hard drive, and the option to create a recovery DVD or CD set. Both of these only restore the system to original factory configuration.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:51 AM

Just as an aside, even if Windows can't create partitions over 137 gB, it can still view them.

#11 looney2340

looney2340
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:02 PM

Hi Platypus
The original hard drive was 250 gig i am replacing it with a new one of 320 gig as well as the memory. The thing was when i got the restore discs i think they sent my friend the wrong ones.....when i put disk one of 11 in it said these recovery discs are not compatialbe with this pc model.....he did call HP again they said they send the discs according to the serial and product id on the compter and if the new discs dont work it may be a bios issue not sure how that would work if they are sending the right discs.........and hopefully they will be the right ones this time so i can reinstall everything.
Now i assumed with the original drive being 250 gig and it did see the whole capacity because i have worked on this computer about a year ago with a spy ware problem....that when i put the new one in i wouldnt have a problem seeing the whole capicity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users