Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Got a Strange Folder in Program Files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 djangoo

djangoo

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:23 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this one.

Anyway, I believe my computer doesn't have any malware/viruses as I took care of it last week or so and this folder was already there, before and after.

It's called "xerox" in Program Files and it has another folder in it called "nwwia". There's nothing in them and nothing hidden that I can tell. They cannot be deleted and while I was in safe mode I was able to delete them, but the folders came back and I have no idea why.

I've had these folders in there for a long time and I'm kind of curious as to what they are.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:47 PM

What is '\Program Files\XEROX\NWWIA', and how do I get rid of it?

The short answer is that it does appear to be something related to "Windows Image Acquisition", which is a common component of Windows. Why it shows up empty, and why it remains protected by the operating system is as best we can tell, a mystery.

For what it's worth, it benign. It's on lots of systems, including my own.

Using SysInternals Process Explorer I was able to tell that the windows logon process has the directory open. But I was able to find no reference to it in the registry. And apparently when you do manage to delete it, the system file protection service dutifully restores it.

There's a long thread on the subject out at the Annoyances.org discussion forum titled Deleting Ghost/Empty Directories that has many theories and a couple of ways to delete it, if that's really important to you.

askleo.com

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users