Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wireless question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:22 PM

The DSL modem that I have acts as a wireless router. It is essentially a wireless router and modem in one. So, is it possible to use a wireless router as a network card to my modem, or is it only capable of being used as normal. Thanks for any help you can offer.
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2005 - 11:22 PM

Not really sure i understand your question, if your mode/router can work as a gateway and you have all the right connections (either a pci wireless card or usb adapter) or you if you just have a LAN rj45 jack on both the computer and modem/router plug them in. Once again, i don't understand your question properly......so i don't know if this is help or hinderance....i also realise that i'm not too sure how to spell hinderance....sorry.
Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

#3 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2005 - 12:53 AM

I'm with lucent, I don't understand what you are asking but let me try.

Most of the DSL companies today are providing a packaged unit that is a DSL modem and 4-port router all built together. The router usually has wireless capabilities built in also. What this means is that if you have a network connection in your computer that is all you need. The connection can either be through a cable or it can be wireless. Some laptops have both built in or you can purchase a card for either one (wired or wireless). If it is a wired connection then you need to plug a netowrk cable into your computer and one of the ports on the router. If it is wireless then you can simply place your computer anywhere within the routers signal.

Post back here with a little more detail if you have any further questions.

Cheers

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#4 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:35 AM

OK, to be more specific I will give you a basic idea of the wireless network I am trying to create:

In one room I have my admin computer that is connected directly to my gateway modem (the one that is a modem and wireless router) via ethernet cable. In another room, I have a computer and a game console that I want to share my broadband connection. I know I could easily by a USB or Ethernet card for the computer to get it online, and I could buy wireless client to hook up the gaming console. But, now for my question, well actually there is possibly two. IS THERE A DEVICE THAT WOULD ALLOW ME TO CONNECT THE SECOND COMPUTER AND GAME CONSOLE BOTH, USING THE SAME DEVICE I MEAN, INSTEAD OF HAVING TO BUY TO SEPERATE DEVICES? Is this called something like an access point, Im very new to wireless networking.
I think that should clarify my previous ambiguous question. Thanks for any help you can offer.
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

#5 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:49 AM

Your access point would be your wireless router. The 2nd computer and the gaming console will each need a wireless ethernet card and be configured appropriately to access the wireless router.

Example, I have my wireless router set up in one room and I have 6 computers in various locations throughout my home all with wireless ethernet cards. They all gain access to the Interent through the wireless router, which in my case is connected to my dsl modem (I got mine before SBC started providing the all-in-one unit).

I have hooked up a number of these new units in businesses and homes and they really are a nice deal from your ISP.

Cheers.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users