Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrator Lockout

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 1sennafan

1sennafan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:55 PM

I as administrator have been locked out of part of my own system. :thumbsup: One user account has made his folder in windows explorer not visible or accessible. I have gotten it back to where I can see it but still cant access it. He also changed the user settings for the internet zone to: Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Web browser control. I cant change the settings back to default in windows. I think this was done by changing a registry settings but I don’t have a clue where to start looking. Any help would be great. :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:07 PM

do you have a linux on cd? such as knoppix? if you do you can load it and check out your windows partition and see if you can get more info on the account. Im not sure if it's the same on your computer but when i have a bad crash i can usually fix it from linux and also the recovery consle. The recovery console is on your xp disk ( if you have one).good luck and let us know what you encounter.
Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

#3 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:11 PM

P.S try firefox it is curently at version 1.0.4 (stable) or if you are used to buggy browsers (say like IE) then try a nightly build.
Posted Image

#4 1sennafan

1sennafan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:18 PM

No I don’t have linux. I tried the administrator account in recovery consle and made it visable again but not accessible
I think this was done to access my system from outside but I don’t know why my brother wants in behind my back.

#5 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:00 AM

Log-in as a administrator and just remove or change the password to the account that's locked the folder, login with that user name and then see what's in the folder.

Alternatively try Ultimate boot cd 4 windows and boot the PC with it.

#6 1sennafan

1sennafan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:23 AM

I can logon to the account using new password however my documents still has popup box saying
” C:\Doc&Set.\Co..\Mydoc…is not accessible. Access Denied”
I think this was done with Folder Redirection\Roming User Account or with Shell Folders keyed in the registry, which will give you basic functionality similar to Folder Redirection so I read.
I'm still working on it and will post what I find.

#7 1sennafan

1sennafan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:39 PM

I'm trying to build "Ultimate boot cd 4 windows " :thumbsup: without much luck so far :flowers:

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:07 AM

Hi 1sennafan

Not sure if this will help or not but have a look at How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP.

I'm probably just putting my foot in my mouth again. :thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#9 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2005 - 01:51 AM

i believe leurgy this is why we are born with two feet. One can be planted firmly in the mouth while the other hobbles us along. That is why i can hop around exceedingly well.

Edited by lucent, 18 May 2005 - 01:52 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users