Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This program is not responding

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mypenry

mypenry

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:59 AM

Ive just bought a AUSU N10 J netbook running Windows xp home ( sp2 ) , and when I turn it off I keep getting this message ..

End Program - EventWnd

Ending Program

This program is not responding

End Now / Cancel

Any Idea how to stop this warning every time I turn the N 10 off ..?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:59 AM

http://processlist.com/info/eventwnd.html

There doesn't seem to be a lot of useful data about this that I can see.

IMO, that's a bad sign, in spite of the assertion that it's not malware in the link above...and a Google search doesn't provide any reference that I can see is useful.

I have XP Home, SP3 installed and I don't find such file on my system, there is no assertion that it's a Microsoft system file.

Louis

#3 mypenry

mypenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:25 AM

Thanks for that, Yes Ive not been able to find much about this, I am really stuck to know what to do next ? or where to look for an answer so I can stop this warning message from coming on screen every time I turn the N 10 off

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:32 AM

Generally, there are at least two approaches you can take (after satisfying yourself that malware is not involved):

a. Do a search of your system (all files and file extensions visible) for any file with eventwnd in filename.

b. Search all startup items for a prompt for said filename, using a tool like Autoruns and looking only at the Logon tab.

AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

For users comfortable with manually searching the registry...just Start/Run...type regedit, hit OK...then place cursor at top of list on left side. Then, click Edit/Find...type in filename, make sure that there checkmarks by Keys, Values, and Data...hit Find Next. If you get anything as an item or entry, delete that and then go back to Find Next and hit it again...and again...until regedit tells you that the entire registry has been searched. This will eliminate stray registry entries which might be to blame.

Users inexperienced/uncomfortable with searching the registry probably need to forego the third option.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users