Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rogue AntiVirus on my computer! HELP!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 2leashes

2leashes

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:46 AM

I believe I have AntiVirus2008 or some other rogue antivirus program as of late last night! I have no idea how it suddenly appeared on my screen! I was at a website or maybe Wikipedia when this thing happened. Or maybe my daughter could have infected me with a link she sent a day or two before. I don't know.

What happens is a large screen comes up saying My Computer. And, it shows all these supposed viruses that have supposedly infected my computer. Then a few smaller windows pop up saying Security Alert and a couple misspelled words supposedly from Windows saying I need to scan for viruses, etc. Okay, I know none of these are legitimate, so I never click ok or allow them in. BUT, I cannot get rid of these windows!!! The X-out is disabled and just will not allow me to click out or cancel them. AND I cannot do anything else on AOL, either. I can't click on anything else because of those pop up windows! HELP!!! Neither my Webroot Spysweeper or any other programs even detect this! It's also not there when I boot up my computer. And, I can get online through IE which I don't like, but it's the only way I can go to the web and read my AOL mail. Once when I went to Wikipedia on IE the fake antivirus windows popped up but I was able to get rid of them.

The AOL agent (during online chat) gave me the link for this website. He also told me that unless I know someone who is skilled at getting rid of this virus , don't attempt certain things or my computer will end up being a paperweight.

Anyway, I need HELP. Also, how do I make sure this doesn't happen again?? I am very careful about clicking on things suspicious. My computer also is regularly scanned for viruses.

Any thoughts as to how to remove this from my computer??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 2leashes

2leashes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:37 AM

By the way, when I looked at the list of rogue anti spyware programs here, I'm not sure which one I have. I did remember seeing this written somewhere when this thing all started on my computer-----> http://avscan5.com22/?uid=112 I'm not sure if this is the name of the rogue program or what. Either way, I don't know which one listed here on BleepingComputer is the one infecting my computer. How do I know which one to UNinstall? I also don't see my "symptoms" listed ie; I cannot click out of the pop-ups or fake My Computer window in order to do ANYTHING else when I'm on AOL. How come I can be online through Internet Explorer and even log onto AOL that way and that rogue antivirus doesn't pop up?

Also, I'm starting to think this has something to do with Google searches I was performing when all this happened. That's when it seemed to start about 24 hours ago or less.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users