Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Move Comstar External Drive to New Enclosure?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lucyndahansen

lucyndahansen

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:22 PM

Today my daughter used my external hard drive and it stopped working - her computer stopped recognizing it - I plugged it into mine and mine wouldn't recognize it - I usually figure my computer stuff out on my own but figured this might be something beyond me so I took it down to my computer shop and they plugged it into their computer - told me their computer wouldn't detect it - that it wouldn't spin and that I would need to send it away and it would cost me around 800 or more to have my data recovered.

So what I want to know is - can I remove the drives inside the enclosure - put them in a different enclosure and see if it works because I'm not convinced it isn't an issue with the usb plug. My daughter said it was working fine and she accidently hooked her foot on the cable and pulled the cable out - she put it back in and it no longer worked.

I've been reading on this particular brand - (which apparently isn't the greatest brand in the world - gift from my hubby who knows nothing about computers) it is a Comstar One touch 500 gig. From what I've read from various users - this is a common problem and several people have mentioned "yanking" the insides out and "shoving" them in a different enclosure and it working fine. I'm good with my computer - but I don't touch the insides of things.

Here is a link to the only page I could find with info on the hard drive.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...=&langid=EN

The data on my hard drive is important - family photos, family movies - and if it turns out I have to pay 800$ I will - I think. Maybe.

I don't rely on my external drive - I have just been recently backing up my laptop as I was planning a reformat. I even told myself as I was deleting that I really shouldn't trust it - even for a short time - but I did it anyway. I had that little feeling of dread in me that said if I deleted anything - even for a few days - something bad would happen - and now - here I am.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:26 PM

Sure you can put it in another enclosure
Make sure it's the right size 3.5
It would be better if you got one with it's own power adapter instead of an extra USB cable for power
This is the one I have
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16817145656
Here's more
http://www.newegg.ca/Store/SubCategory.asp...rnal-Enclosures

Edited by garmanma, 20 December 2008 - 11:29 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 lucyndahansen

lucyndahansen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:58 AM

are you at all familiar with the one I have? It does have a power adapter - I'm just extremely inexperienced with this (like - I've never ever done it before). The guys at the computer shop said that doing anything with the inside would require a "clean" environment and all this stuff I don't even remember now and basically scared the crap out of me (for a minute). They made it sound like I had absolutely no option but to send it away and pay 800$ or more dollars to retrieve my data. Can you tell me - or direct me to something that will tell me - step by step - how to take it apart and swap enclosures? I guess I'm still scared.

The hard drive does power on - the blue light comes on so it's getting power. My mentioned that before she yanked the usb cable out by accident - it wasn't reading well and she had unplugged it from her computer a few times and tried it in different usb ports because it wasn't detecting from her usb ports on the back - and it took plugging it in a few times on her front one - it finally detected - she moved some files and then it slowed down, it was during a very slow transfer - she said almost seemed it came to a stop - that she went to get up and accidently pulled the cable out - when she put it back in she couldn't get it to detect it again - and now it won't in mine either.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:25 AM

The persons you talked to...were probably referring to the idea of opening a hard drive, not the enclosure (which contains the hard drive). That would require procedures/facilities beyond the skills of the "average computer user."

An external hard drive is nothing but a regular hard drive (just like the one which is in your computer) which has been put in an enclosure with USB connectivity.

Is this your drive, http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...test%5Fcookie=1 ?

I have not seen an external hard drive enclosure...which could not be opened, although I suppose that it's possible that someone might put them in sealed enclosures.

Louis

#5 spiritwolf1

spiritwolf1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:01 AM

In case anyone else reads this in the future. 1) go ahead and open the hard drive and learn a thing or two. Its a good place to start.
2) Yes you can get a replacement encloser for a decent amount of money (30 cdn) just make sure to take your hard drive with you to make sure you get the proper enclosure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users