Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a way to uninitialize a just initialized drive without formatting?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Typhoon859

Typhoon859

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:06 PM

I initialized the HDD I was using for my PS3 with Disc Management so that Windows can read it when I right away realized that it wasn't such a great idea. Is there any way whatsoever that I can undo that so the PS3 can read it again?
-The guy with all the rarest problems of the world-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:57 AM

Initializing the hard drive means you formatted it and erased whatever was on it
Some say just put it back in and it will reformat itself. Other says to zero it out first with something like Killdisk
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/702626
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Typhoon859

Typhoon859
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:33 PM

Initializing the hard drive means you formatted it and erased whatever was on it
Some say just put it back in and it will reformat itself. Other says to zero it out first with something like Killdisk
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/702626

It would have told me if it was formatting it. I hit initialize and in half of a second, the disk was online, THEN, AFTERWARD, it was asking me to format it to be able to use it. It wasn't formatted.
-The guy with all the rarest problems of the world-

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 02:44 PM

Hi, I would say your disk will not work in the PS3 so the data would now be corrupted. The only option may be to format it again via the PS3.
MCP
MSDST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users