Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Installer Popup "Unload"

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jimthepisces

jimthepisces

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:29 PM

Hi,

I've recently had some pc problems with malware and at one point, I uninstalled some programs that I didn't think I needed. Suddenly, I've been getting a message upon booting up that says "Unload" and shows an installer window...when I X it out, it just keeps coming back (sometimes it says Windows Installer instead of Unload.) The only way to get rid of it is by doing "End Task." Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:07 PM

Additional information supplied by jimthepisces, in his cleared HJT log post, that I thought might be useful:

I rebooted my pc and wrote everything I could. Here's all the text:

It says Unload at the top of the installer window. Inside the window it says "gathering required information" and after a few moments it says "The feature you are trying to use in on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the 'Unload' disk and click OK."

At the bottom of this window it says "Use source: 1" which is the only available option or "Browse"

If I click OK, then it says "The path '1' cannot be found. Verify that you have access to this location and
try again, or try to find the installation package 'unload.msi' in a folder from which you can install the product Unload."

Finally, if I X the window, it says "error 1706. No valid source could be found for product Unload. The Windows installer cannot continue."

Then it starts all over again until I do "End Task" on it.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:05 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Are you using your system to sync a Blackberry?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 21 December 2008 - 01:06 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:25 PM

Have you checked the Processes tab of Task Manager to see what process "goes away" when you click on "End Task"?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 jimthepisces

jimthepisces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:30 PM

Hi,

To answer the first question: No. I am not using my system to sync a Blackberry.

To answer the second question:
The Processes that disappear when I do "End Task" are:
msiexec.exe
wmiprvse.exe
wmiprvse.exe (duplicate)
wuauclt.exe
and
HpqCmon.exe

Thanks!

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:41 PM

For starters, try uninstalling your HP software. The last entry is for your HP Digitial Imaging program - and that could be using the msiexec.exe process.

Then check to see if it happens. If it doesn't, then that's likely to be the problem. Download a fresh copy of the software if you really want to use it and install that.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 jimthepisces

jimthepisces
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:58 PM

hey,

I don't think it has to do with HP digital monitoring because I've had that forever and didn't touch it. The problem is probably related to something else i've uninstalled, i just don't know what...Also, i don't want to uninstall the HP software. Is there anything else it could be?

#8 markopolo

markopolo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:24 PM

Hi,

It is the second time i had this problem, and it is resolved !
Like you 'Unload etc', and for th second time, i used the only solution clear and simple :

** Download or execute Windows Install Clean Up ( Not a ' désinstallateur' but an cleaning rest of deleted applications)
** Find in the end of the applications list, the name Unload, then delete it, confirm yes.

The probleme is solve !

You can verifie in windows start if anything like this is programmed to start.

In fact this problem is the symptome of a bad or incomplete ' désinstallation ', it was for me with HP
, the last 'unload' i don't know what is the application deleted source of this problem.

The fact is the problem is resolved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users